NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Alert site....re dangers

Jopalis

Your welcome. I checked on the space heater I use and thankfully no teflon. I do use non-stick pans though... Anyone else? I also wonder about those bendy multi colored string perches. Tobie won't have it in her cage but I think they are popular. Wonder if they are the ones that can be ingested...?<br><br>Post edited by: Jopalis, at: 2008/05/15 00:30

I might be wrong but I think teflon is the product that makes it non stick so that would mean any non stick pan is off limits, you can check out those pans in the store but I bet teflon is mentioned on all the ones that are non stick.

Maybe someone else who knows more will shed some more light on this subject but for the time being I would toss them, its not worth your bird's life.:ohmy:

I know... I also know my Mom used the occasional non-stick fry pan as have I in the 5 yrs I have had Tobie. She is 37. Maybe they vary in sensitivity and maybe it depends on how you use the pan. My MIL once took one of my expensive non-sticks and pre-heated it and ruined the bottom. Now I would bet it let off a lot of fumes. Bird wasn't there thankfully. Mostly I use an exhaust fan over my range if I use them as well. I will definitely be more careful now though....

So I guess this means the fry daddy is off limits too.. I assume they are Teflon material, looks like it anyway. I Hate to get rid of the daddy!

I got rid of the carpet fresh, candles, potpourie oils, plug ins, pinesol, and my nephews axe body spray, which gags me anyway, haha.. Oh I love my candles, I am a candle freak!!

Hey while on the subject of smell goods.. What do you use instead to clean with and make your houses smell good.

I read where you can use bleach water to clean the cages. Is it too much to mop with bleach water with the bird in the house. To me bleach would be just as bad if not worse than pinesol????<br><br>Post edited by: madisimmons, at: 2008/05/15 17:25

With the warmer weather you might consider using the fryer outside and away from the bird. Helps the house not have that fry odor.... I would think we could either move the item or the bird far away from each other. FAR AWAY....

You know... My avian vet was going off on the American diet and how unhealthy it is and how we feed our pets similarly. I did feel guilty. I guess if we ate right most of the time and had the occasional oops it would be one thing however....

I kept thinking I should be eating the way the bird is now.... healthy food, omega fatty acids, calcium... a little sun.... berries, veggies.... Small amounts of lean protein. Yeah... It has been harder for me to stop giving Tobie our people food. Plus when we sit down to dinner she repeats "Good?" over and over.... She started that before me. Well, last night I did give her some kale and sweet potato but not the meat. Old habits are so hard to break...