NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Where oh where to sleep??

madisimmons

Okay, yes i'm inexperienced so expect lots of questions from me, all for the good of Sammie of course. So please bare with me.

Grey's need 10 to 12 hours sleep. Her cage is in the living room corner and she has a playstand between kitchen and living room. Bad place I'm sure, no where else to put it for the next few months (remodeling).

Question: Should I get an additional cage for her to sleep in a bedroom in? Do they get really cranky without 10-12 hours sleep? My nephew gets up at 6am and I don't go to bed until 11pm. Can she still get sleep in the day with the quiet or do they not sleep during the day because it's sunny?

What is a good cage cover to use. I have just been using a sheet.

Thanks so much,

Kim

Hi Kim!!!

Congratulations on your new grey, life is SO much better with a grey in it!!!

How much uninterrupted sleep does your bird get? How old is your bird? Do you know if she naps during the day? Generally they do if it gets quiet. If your bird is in a place where there is activity and noise and light after her "bed time" it might not be a bad idea to let her sleep in a smaller cage in a quiet room instead. I'll defer to more experienced grey folks on that one!

I don't use a cage cover for Jenna at all, but she is in a quiet corner in the living room, and I turn out all the lights in that room between 9 and 10 every night. (I'm up later, but usually in my own bedroom) Jenna usually gets about 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep, and I trust that her daytime naps help take care of the rest of her sleeping needs - at least so far that seems to be working ok! But I'm new at this, too ~smiles~ Now I would not want you to think Jenna is the center of the universe or anything . . . but before bed she gets warm oatmeal, fed from a spoon, and then I sing her a lullabye before turning off the lights . . .

I think most greys will nap during the day if it is quiet and no one is around so that may be ok for Sammie. Some of the members here do use a sleep cage, I personally don't, Josey remains in her big cage and I cover her with a big black sheet.

What I have been doing is covering her cage around 9pm or so and it stays covered with a sheet until 7am. During the day nobody is home so she get total quiet in the house, except when the lovely dogs in the back yard are barking at passer bye's.

When a person first buys a grey or other parrot, the most important thing to watch is how much and how fast that parrot decides to so called *decorate*, personalize and arrange that cage in order for that parrot to think that it's a home that he/ she can feel comfortable and enjoy and feel safe in all the time. So when that finally happens, that cage should be quite fine for playing in, napping in, eating in, relaxing in and finally, sleeping in which is why it's important to get the right sized cage immediately. I've never used a sleep cage because the main cage should also be used and accepted as the night time sleep cage and I've had a 100% success rate.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/14 20:45

Dave007 wrote:

When a person first buys a grey or other parrot, the most important thing to watch is how much and how fast that parrot decides to so called *decorate*, personalize and arrange that cage in order for that parrot to think that it's a home that he/ she can feel comfortable and enjoy and feel safe in all the time. So when that finally happens, that cage should be quite fine for playing in, napping in, eating in, relaxing in and finally, sleeping in which is why it's important to get the right sized cage immediately. I've never used a sleep cage because the main cage should also be used and accepted as the night time sleep cage and I've had a 100% success rate.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/14 20:45

These are my Grey's hang outs, compliments of MoJo, with a few adjustments of course, ie. proper size toys. I've had to take off the high perch because she fell off of it twice now. (bad for the feathers and everything else).

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/angel74014/IMG_1983.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/angel74014/Picture009.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/angel74014/IMG_1984.jpg