NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG's pooping

madisimmons

The man who is taking care of the CAG I am thinking of adopting told me that she doesn't like to go to the bathroom in her cage, he said none of them do. The CAG, I guess she goes while on the side of the cage and it ends up in the floor. Is this normal? Should I put her between the kitchen and living room where there is tile?

They do seem to like to poop where it is not messing up THEIR room. ;-) But, they will if they need to normally.

Maybe try poop training him to go over a trash can, on a playstand etc. if you have the time and patience to do so. There is a thread on that subject if you care to explore it.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/african-grey/41481-toilet-training-.html#41777

Guest smokey

Smokey my grey almost never poohs in his cage he always waits for me to take him out of his sllep cage in the moorning and then right when i come home from school. Once out of the cage and not one of his humans he trys to pooh constantly when perched. So he doesn't have to pooh in his cage or get put back in his cage for poohing on someone.

I heard they don't poop in their cage/home because in the wild it would indicate to predators where they are sleeping/nesting. If they poo right below where they are other animals would search out the poo and get them during the night.

Makena always poops when he is standing on the edge of his cage. I would definitely recommend the tile! Luckily we have seed trays which catch more poo than food!!<br><br>Post edited by: Makena, at: 2008/05/12 11:19

Biggles poos in a litter tray on command lol. We placed a normal cat litter tray (a small one) under his playstand so that whenever he comes out and we place him on his stand we tell him to "go poos!" and off he squats lolol.

Gotta love how smart these birdies are :laugh:

Guest Skuffy

Max will stand on his door and wait till i open him, soon as the Door is open he will explode,I have news paper there just for the occation...:woohoo: As the day goes on he may weeee in his cage when up on a high perch, but not so much the Poo's..{Nature-00020095}

***The man who is taking care of the CAG I am thinking of adopting told me that she doesn't like to go to the bathroom in her cage, he said none of them do.***

He's right. Your bird is the same as every other bird. None like to go to the bathroom. Bowl is much too big and sadly there is no company around that builds bathrooms with proper sized bowls for cages. Good luck though.