NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Step up... on my hand not on my head !!!

bslicknaz

Hi all ,

My parrot ( 4 months) was very spoilt in her previous house until she came to my house( 5th month) where she was allowed to go anywhere in the house from morning till night . Even though i am trying to set a decent training programme , everytime i ask her to step up , she climbs onto my hand but flies onto my head .

I cannot stroke her on the back or head without her screaming or walking / flying away from me ... :-(

Ive been training her for 2 weeks consistently .. any sugesstions ?

Love Naz xxx

You need to prevent her from landing on your head.If she is on your hand & goes to fly block her with your other hand,try putting your arm up above your head for her to land on.If she does land on your head simply return her to a playstand & say no & walk away,in time she will learn that this behaviour is not acceptable & gets her no rewards.Time & patience im afraid is whats needed,no quick fix.

My grey Charlie used to do fly or climb up on top of my head as well. He was probably about the same age as yours. Like lovemygreys and Judy have said it will just take time, keep lifting her down and place her where you want her to be. Do you already have a playstand? If not these are a great idea and will give your grey somewhere else to focus on as a play area if you put favourite toys and things on there to keep her interested.;)

Oisin did that too and I was afraid to put my hand up over my head to get him to step up because he bites me.. hard. So I used the playstand and got him to step onto that every time he went for my head. I think he has finally got the message... almost a year later:S

Hi Naz

I have a 5 month old CAG who loves to fly and land on my head, which I do NOT like as much as she does! Hehe We're working on it. I put my hand or arm over my head when I hear her wings start to flap, and when she does manage to land on my head I take her off and put her on her cage or her play stand. I'll go sit near her so she feels comfortable, she really seems to like me to be nearby all the time when I am home. I hope she'll eventually stop landing on my head!

My little one, like yours, does not like being petted or handled too much, either. She used to let the breeder handle her, so I am hoping that eventually she will let me touch her more, too.

Good luck with your new little one!

• 1 year later...

I still have that problem with Adaya and she's been doing it since she learned to fly. I just keep getting her down she will step up every time I ask so I don't have a problem getting her off my head. its been over a month now since she learned to fly and I think shefinally getting the Idea she actually landed on my shoulder the other day instead of my head my problem is that she likes to land on my headand then roll over and hang upside down by my hair do you have any Idea what its like to have a african grey dangling in front of your face. I guess I'm going to either get a hair cut or wear a hat. I tried a ponytail but thats worse it gives her my hair to hang on to the little bogger.