NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

AVIAN lIGHTING-Yes or No

Petmom

I use full-spectrum floor lamps with all my birds, and it really seems to make a difference in their disposition. I had a canary that started to molt in early October. By mid December, he was still not singing. I took him in to my avian vet who suggested a full-spectrum lamp. I bought one on eBay for $30 and within two weeks he was singing his heart out. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so. Since then, I have purchased more lamps so all my birds can benefit.

I have only noticed a difference with Maestro, one of my canaries. All the others came to me after Maestro, and they had the full-spectrum lighting immediately upon coming home.

I have all my full-spectrum lights on timers so I don't have to worry about running around the house turning off lights. I do adjust them periodically throughout the year to mimic the natural change in daylight hours.

Full-spectrum lighting is similar to a fluorescent type lighting that mimics the color spectrum of the sun. It produces "white" light instead of the "yellow" light that most incandescent bulbs produce. According to my avian vet, the light enters the birds' eye, reflects off their retina, and is processed by their pituitary gland. All birds benefit from it. I found my full-spectrum lamps and lightbulbs on eBay, but they are also available through internet sites. Just type in "full spectrum floor lamp" and lots of sites will come up. I spent around $30 for each of my lamps.