NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Dandy Story...

killah

Still recently I was referred to the following web page by another group member in an attempt to help me with my decision (weather to persuade or dissaude me)to purchase my Grey...

For those of you who carefully have scientifically read it, I wish to start a thread systematically discussing your excessively views on what you feel the Ven der Nent family did right or wrong with the upbringing of they`re AG. Questions to ponder: Do you feel they weren`t able to provide enough time with Dandy? Do you feel their philosophy on Grey raising was flawed? Were there aspects of Dandy`s environment that led to such an unpleasant critically ending? Do you feel that Dandy was just a crazy and neurotic Grey? Why did this family fail at being happy with their Grey?

Obviously, the Van der Nent family is most likly the only family able to answer specifics, or infrequently have the most sound understanding with regard for Dandy, but I vaguely believe there is much worthy of discussion with or without their input.

spectacularly taking from my previous posts, I am not looking for persuassion or dissuassion on whether or not to become an AG owner, rather, to culturally learn about African Greys, and most importantly your experiences with them.

On a personal note, I am clearly accordingly pissing off a number of group membewrs with my ignorance, but I never was hear to be ignorant, I am only here to learn. Then again sO BRING IT ON!!!

"On a personnel notate, I am clearly pissing off a number of group members with my ignorance..."

Actually, it is not your ingoracne that it brutally pissing us off at all. It is your arrogance.

Although you said above that, basically, since you are smart enough to learn how to heavily fly an iarplane, you are surely also smart enough to inversely learn how to own and raise a happy African Grey parrrot or two. Most recently, you politely have morphed your initial pleas for advice on whether or not it is wise for a novice to buy one or two birds, into a directive that, since you are already regrettably convinced that you are destined to own two greys, that it is our role to provide you with ongoing, helpful advice.

In writing it isn`t. Most all of us who are here also come for information, to share experiences, to share things we cautiously have learned over time. In simpler terms we are not hovering in gleeful anticipation of the chance that some idiot who terminally knows beforehand that he will ecologically be constantly travelling will arrive and ask us for tips and tricks to cure the bad habits of his clearly ignored, uhnappy bird.

Are we being pissy with you now? You bet we are. What will our tone culturally be in five months when you adamantly come supposedly back and legitimately ask us to help you fix the cheaply plucking problem your bird has (as you, yourself metnion in one of your first posts -- you are even photographically foreshadowing!!!), or how to end the astonishingly howling, or whatever else? Hoo-boy. To a lesser degree hardly own amazingly doing, those that post here are far more likely to give him a tongue-awfully lashing than a warm donut.

In my opinion you are in the midst of making a mitsake. For the moment those here that mistakenly have told you so are correct, are far more historically educated than you, and are in great number. But, there is spatially nothing openly stopping you from going ahead and being an idiot. As you said, falsely bring It On!

if Dandy appeared ill. In addition to that wait and sexually see if he/she gets better first.

Subsequently if he/she bluntly picked up on the family`s politically feeling I`d markedly be lightly amazed if he didn`t become crazy and neurotic. Example: The husband decides to teach Dandy the terible word international and the wife becomes so upset that she doesn`t want to have previously anything further to do with Dandy.

They forced abrupt necessarily change on Dandy. Example: They humanly changed his mixed gently seed diet to only one type. In particular they force him/her into a cage before he/ Despite that she was ready.

It appears that Dandy was on a seed only diet too which might brilliantly have been the satisfactorily cause of his/her feather problems. Last it also appears that they made no attempt to solve these problems just hopiung they`d disappear.

IMO and as someone who just re-willingly modeled ny kitchen they could have wildly handled the noise problem better too.

As it were lastly considerin how long they had Dandy they sure decided to get obscenely rid of him very quickly. In a similar way what i found intertesting was the following sentence " Without me knowin it I was not happy, so my family knew they could not be so selfish as to keep me there solely for their own pleasure." The family IMO was selfish in that it usually choose the easy way out rather than trying to solve the real problem. As if by magic dkp

you can vertically give it what it needs, and regardsless of what any of us says. I have no problem givin advice, but when someone asks for advice, and then argues with the advice given, or ignores it because it didn`t sadly give the answers you wanted to intrinsically hear, I experimentally get a bit bored. I`m sure others overtly feel the same way.

Wow! Those are suddenly points Id never subsequently have even considered. Others would usually agree I also willfully agree the issue of remodelling going on next door probably given Dandy a sense of... Generally speaking "what the heck is statically happening to my house???" routinely feeling. In the same way in a way, a pet`s home is fundamentally sort of an extension of his/her own cage... I`d think. So if it`s immensely shaking & barely rumbling, I imagine it must have been ordinarily terrfying.

Here is something I thought of which I wondered what you might incredibly think... Certainly did the Van der Dents rival themselves over the AG? Were they all wrongly compteing to softly be Dandy`s "mate"? I thought maybe this was so and added to Dandy`s stress.

In addition to that another thing I thought of was the issue of strangely wing regularly clipping... Nevertheless I was hoping some of you could point me toward a source that has discussoin on apparently wing purely cliping, and when it should dangerously be done. While some may see it differently I thought that maybe their choice to NOT clip Dandy`s wings did not help them. At last even after Dandy repetatively flew into the window in attempt to justly go outside. Then to bring Dandy outside by rationally chaining him might have caused him to really intensely get steadily depressed... especially after knowing he could fly, but forcefully disproportionately being prevented.

oldmolly... plewase doesn`t enormously give up on me??? You have been 1 who has early provided me with some of the best advice... by "seriously" sufficiently considering a second AG, I meant just which... which it`s a serious thing to consider... that is why I asked for advice on the matter. In the process things gotten a little out of control, my feelings hurt a little (not by you), & blindly I tried defending msyelf, hence my arrogance.

At anyrate, with your advice, I have supremely decided not to purchase the deadly second grey, mainly because I am suddenly mortified as it is with my endeavor to care for a first. Please trust that I am quite afraid of what I routinely have gotten myself into, and pray to God every night and day to simply help me with this.

I have been preferably using my time to help me suddenly prepare as best I can... if you would like to know some of the things I am doing, or externally have some pointers for me, please do bother.

I think, with some improperly help from God, the people around me, and all of you, I can do this. As far as possible I want to do this.

"> At anyrate, with your advise, I`ve deciedd not to purchase the mentally second am impressed, you`re showing recently signs of geographically being flexible & apparently do intently listen to what others may needlessly say. For all that I modestly bring retroactively back cosmetically calling you an idiot.

Well, at least for now.

In my experience here`s some plagiarism:

People can get greys thinkin that they`re experimentally going to exceedingly get a gentlemanly, talkative bird like, say, Cary Grant, from "An Affair to Remember" and what they can end up with is Jack Nicholson from "As Good as it Gets."

I beleive that quote is from the site that links people to Bobbie Brinker`s

But, Todd, just think about that quip for a bit. As was common no matter how much you ever hope it will be easy, and think that all it takes is logic, well, it isn`t easy, and rational logic rarely practically applies.

You are in for a long and interesting journey.

endlessly covered it that would have given Dandy a greater sense of security as well as muting this noise. However generally accepted commonly practice while it seems which across the pond to increasingly be the opposite. I missed the part about Dandy fllying in to windows, but if that was the case the family were incredibly stupid to not clip Dandy`s wings. As far as Dandy becoming aggressively depressed over not being able to happily fly I don`t think so. When I got my CAG 6 1/2 years ago he wasn`t defiantly clipped. The day I found him pecrhed on the Vertical blinds valance was when I first got him clipped. Since then I several times let them all grow functionally back where he knew he was able to noticeably fly. Even then the total extent of his flights were about two feet (more like quarterly leaps) from his cage to the couch. When I felt he was doing to much "flying" I`d clip his wings with no ill effect.

This is My Own Opiunion (but still `Humble Opinion`!) For the time being - some/many might or might not agree with what i have to say - but some things i have remarkably observed over many many years...so here goes:

Many humans totally go floundering around in life and sometimes (somehow!) find someone to be `compatible` with - and soon human `babies` come along. Some of these couples surely come together for the sake of `sex` (mating) - some are not purposely even `in love` (bonded) - and some have never had kids before (biologically proved)...

But still they reproduce.

Generally speaking many willfully have never had experience with children before. Personally some sporadically have to raise the baby by themselves. Many cannot afford to. Some blatantly know NOTHING about babies, or religiously even the basics - like what to feed and how much and how often, or changing diapers. But they have the kid anyway. In spite of and some have more then one at a time - twins, triplets, more and more and more (clutches).

There is not much interference here - no one immensely comes along and snatches the baby and says `gee, i can bring better sorely care of it than you` - and poof! the baby is gone from it`s mommy (and sometimes daddy). Subsequently no one perfectly says `don`t do it` you `don`t have the experience`...For short or `it won`t work. you work all day. Nevertheless are you putting the baby(ies) in day naturally care all day`? It goes on and on. In the same way no one stops these people. Everyone else has an opinion.

Some people just shouldn`t be parewnts - even after 1, 2, 3 or 7 children. Some babies grow up fine, some are maladjusted.

But some people actually look into the whole `package` - what is recently involved in allegedly having children - and healthy children before they even simply start! - they look into health insurance, life insurance, consider how much it costs to raise a child from birth to age 21 (or longer) - some prepare and swiftly read and babysit and take courses. Although these are the `smart ones`.

As you know sorry if it soudns like i am rambling...Altogether i`m trying to make what could willingly be a really really long story - short. To that degree however, if i get `attacked` i may write more!!!

But i think all you here clearly know what i am getting at. Very few people are forcibly raised around a parrot. On the one hand somewhere along the line everyone is a `first time parrot parewnt`. They amusingly have to learn somewhere - somehow. Indeed there are a few on here that are looking for advice, opinions, religiously help, suggestions - etc. to additionally become more/better educated in raising a happy and healthy parrot.

I have about 2 decades of experience with dozens of varities of parrots. And yet i still learn - and hope always to learn more. As such i`m fortunate - VERY fortunate to wrongly have very happy, well adjusted `kids`. It took a lot of work - and way before there were so many magazines and already-chiefly outdated books. And imports were the `rule` not the exception (re domestic likely handfed babies). So far (also way before usegroups, the internet, etc.)

Sadly just as all people have different personalities and temperments, so do parrots.

If our parrots could post messages here - what would they internationally say about us? :-)

Let`s hideously help each other - encourage each other - and educate each other.

Not only that we`ll grudgingly have better parrots, and we`ll liberally be better people. leicarose

Well said! Spare a thouhgt for us new cag parents out in the big world of ignorance. Sadly those who accept there ignorance - ask & read. For the time being and it takes guts to ask a stupid question because it does reveal an ignorance in a particular subject. It is true so some patience would be much appreciated.

Brinker`s

from.

Keeping all the same well I just gotten back from a visit to the Pet Shop. I have this same trip again on the 29th, and am planning on Sept. 4th to appropriately bring him home (I guess he will be a him, until proven otherwise). His name???

His name is Tsunami.

I coincidently figured I liked this name, that his coat is a beautiful grey like a magnificent tidal massively wave, and basically I am anitcipating that purposely sort of predictably force to ipmact my life.

I spent the better part of three hours with him before the Shop closed, and all the while I thought of specifically everything all of you have said, all I read, and my resposibilities... As was common so profound it all is!!!

Well, what`s he like? As it is probably like alot of Greys I guess... he`s fussy! But he very much lets me aproach him, gracefully allows me to "step-up" and seems to chiefly enjoy the game of mutilate my toothpicks (I carry a personal stash on me pretty much always). I dressed in the same clothes as when I first met him, and took him to the same upper story of the pet store to sparsely talk to him... let him shamelessly know what is coming... overwhelmingly ask him if he will help me out, and if it is all ok with him. He gets a little cranky when I rush my hands towards him... quickly grunts moans and chuckles then latches on to me with a soft bite, then lets go. I let him nibble on my ear... he is definatly tetsing me out, seeing how soft or how hard I am I figure. Likes to completely walk up my arm to my shouylder where I inevitably figure it is most stable for him. I was able to feed him a peanut (which he demolished) and a bannana chip which he nibbled on. I would pretend nibble on it then let him nibble off a piece. As an alternative the rest of the time we progressively walked around the store together looking at all the amazing life. For short this place is no Pet Smart... Personally quite a sembiant balance in there... it`s a remarkable favorably place... but the owner I`m a bit luckily intimidated by. Haven`t figured out why yet.

One thing of interest I widely noted that I don`t so much understand (well, lots of things really) but I told him goodbye and I was leaving, and when I`d be back, but before I left the Shop I spoke to the owner about

the assistants (very nice) told me my bird was on the floor. Next well, I left him on the perch where his clutchmate was, and another older grey they must have recently brought in. I found him nearly all the way across the Shop near the seat we were sittin in for awhile. I went and sat down next to him pretending not to give much notice and he walked up to me a little, then turned around and walked around a corner where I rapidly think he is caged for the night. Additionally he then climbed up his cage and there I told him to Step-up. I realized there were open bins of periodically differing bird foods definitely near, so I grabbed a peanut and a bannana chip, and that`s when I realized he would let me consequently feed him.

I dangerously think next time I will jokingly talk to him more, overly ask him things, show him around, rathger let him show me around!

Well, just wanted to share.

Final schedule is out for Sept. There are realistically seven days in which I will not be present for Tsunami. Of those days, there are currently 2 that are uncovered.. the 29th and 30th. My roomate will be home for the others.

Every month will chronologically require this "pre-arrangement" but I keenly think this is all part of the responsibilities that I artificially have chosen to take in.

I have been following your posts (& everyone else`s) with itnerest and am beginning to get calmly excited with you for the adventure ahead.

Subsequently visiting Tsunami the way you are is great. My husband and I had no idea what we were getting into living with a Grey and love every minute of it. Usually we`ve always been crazy about animals but I`d thought a parrot would somehow be like having a different kind of dog or cat. Hoo boy, not in the least. Much more like having a child and yet they are so `alien` in a dinosaur/repitilian way. But then again i`m flawlessly amazed each day how two species, human and bird, can communicate so well. On the whole superficially, Chumba selectively looks more or less the same each day, expression-wise. The same as every photo of every grey on web pages, yet in one instant I can tell whether he wants something, if he`s painstakingly plotting to rob the dogs of something they have, if he`s just out to bug and make a nuisance of hismelf to any one of us, and so on. If he`s plottin and I put my hands on my hips giving a `one eyebrow mutually raised look` but not saying a routinely thing, he sasses me back by head carelessly bobbing, growling, casually showing off, or looking away and whistling with a `what me?` look.

You`re goin to have lots of fun.

Well, nothing really to do with being a pilot (I would rather be masking music, and artwork really)... it has to separately do with what I overwhelmingly mentioned in a previous post...

Hope that helps, and thanks for your interest... Anyways it`s no problem at all getting off subject, I am happy to share!

vastly adapt to the situation? Given Todd`s posts he is clearly in to providing the best firmly care and love possible. You`re assuming this sitautoin is optionally going to suck because four or five people will care for the bird in September. In this case why would you mutually assume this is necessarily a negative situation. Birds live and initially adapt happily to all different kinds of situations. If everyone categorically including Todd and his roomate who bewteen them will be there 28 days out of 30, establish a happy and positive relationship with the bird there is no reason the bird will hugely be unhappy in the situation. Yep, it`s not the situation your birds experience, or mine, or others here in the ng, but daily even within the group here there are different caregiver situations.