NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DIY Play Gym!

zandische

Ok, I'm showing off a bit here but I can't help it! I'm so happy that this gym turned out the way it did. And I'm even happier that Athena LIKED it so quickly!

This gym is made from 3/4" pvc and is 16" w x 20" d x 29" high. (If I had more space I think I would've made it about 5-10" wider) About 6" off the ground is a center foraging basket that holds a removable tupperware box. You can't see it in these pictures because it's not quite complete yet, but I've wrapped all the perches in vet wrap and I'm working on 1/4" sisal up all the vertical poles to make it easier for her to climb to the upper levels. If you guys are interested, I'll scan my plans and measurements for you. As you can see, it didn't take her long (a day!) to figure out that this was a fun spot to hang out!

stand3sm.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: zandische, at: 2008/05/06 06:50

stand3sm.jpg

wow! :woohoo:

That's great!! Well done :)

It's given me some ideas to go make one for Biggles! We made him a wooden one on a stand but would love to make him a smaller table top one so we can take it about with us on our travels!

Thanks for sharing :)

Amy x

WOW, you did a fantastic job with your play gym. I'm not sure what DIY stands for, though - lol - What is the pink covering you used? My husband tried making us one, but we ended up ordering a tabletop gym. I'm definitely going to be showing him these pictures. I love the tupperware holder. Athena looks like she's having fun too! Nice job, thanks for sharing!

Wow that is soooo cool zandische,what an excellent job,it`s funny because iv been looking for one for a few weeks now,but maybe ill have a go at making one,thanks for sharing it,

Jackie

Wow, thanks guys! And I'm glad I can inspire some of you to try this too!!!

Talon, the foraging basket was the hardest part because I had to tweak it a bit. I hadn't found a tray yet when I started so I saved it for last. And I thought I was going to have to screw it down or else it would fall through if Athena actually got in it. Once I had the whole frame together, I went to Target and found something I thought would work - that's a snap-tight plastic box from the tupperware section and it's about 8x9x 1.5. Then I just measured and cut the pvc to frame it and then tweaked the sizing until I had it tight enough that the box fit snugly. It doesn't show in these pictures, but I wrapped the basket frame in vet wrap and the stickyness does an even better job of holding the basket in there. I've put at least 5 pounds in there and it didn't budge, so I think it's safe at this point =)

The pink stuff is vet wrap (Vetrap, Coflex, Softlex etc are all brand names.) What you see there is 10 full yards of it and it doesn't even cover half the perches! That stuff is fairly expensive to buy in Petsmart or at the Feed Supply (mine ran roughly $3.00/roll and it took 5 rolls to cover all the horizontal surfaces; I'm wrapping the vertical supports in sisal for climbing.) so if I can recommend anything, definitely try to get it on sale or from ebay in bulk if you can! (Also the colors in the store aren't that great - when I ran out of pink the only colors they had left were dark blue, black (Athena doesn't like black), dark green, purple and red. If you order them online you can get the neons/brighter colors - definitely something I'll do next time!) But don't skimp on the wrap - build up three or four layers and it feels so nice and squishy just like a Dr. Scholl's gel shoe insert - but for birds!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok guys, I really have to apologize to everyone who was watching this - I meant to post the plans/instructions much sooner than this. I've been away way too long and this place is a natural stress relief for me, so I need to get back here more often! Anyhow, I PROMISE I will get that info up for you very soon. Again, I apologize to anyone who's been waiting!