NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Names for your companion

Big_Squishy

Ok I have been reading through all of the post I can find about how to name or what other people have named their companion birds. I originally thought that I would approach it just like I did when I chose the name of my son. Unfortunately it took months and was not something that time permitted to judging personality.

From all of the reading I have done about Grays it seems that what their personality is when they are babies can changes many times as they get older. I also understand 1 and 2 syllable names work best due the ease of learning them. I have always strived to do everything I can in a different way from everyone else.

I know it is sometimes not possible, however, I am really stuck on ideas for my soon to be companion (several months from now due to my desire to wait until he/she is fledged)

I intend to have the DNA sexing performed. Not that it really matters but I would like to know and think it will be good information to have for vet and health checks. I also do not want to name my companion “Fred" and have him lay an egg. How big of a problem would that be? I don't think it would be that bad but hey I can say I am glad my parents did not name me “Sue"!

I understand this post might have come a million times before and I apologize but there does not seem to be any Books on “names for your Companion bird."

Maybe just a list of names would help. Just bouncing them around like most of us did or will do when we have human children.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and I hope the billion questions I will ask will not ruffle anyone's feathers too much.

JC = Big_ Squishy

I have the same dilemma honestly. Names are very important to me...it has to be just right! It's funny, even before my husband and I married we had a name all picked out for a boy baby (we were going to name him for our respective grandfathers), and of course all we have are girls! And we had the devil of a time coming up with names for them, because the meaning of the name was very important to both of us...but so was the sound of the name!

And it's always been hard to name our pets too, for the same reason. I'm sorry I don't really have any advice for you lol. You could try looking for a gender neutral name, if you aren't sure the bird will be sexed in time to decide on a name that way, or have a "boy" and a "girl" name ready for when it *is* sexed, so you can start using the appropriate one right away!

I don't expect to own a gray for another two years, but I'm already pondering names :P

It really IS hard to find the right name, isn't it? I had a list of names picked out when I went to see my baby, I was not sure which one I liked best. Jenna was NOT at the top of the list, although it was obviously ON the list. But it is the name SHE liked best, she chirped and looked at me when I tried it out on her, so she got to choose her own name! :laugh:

Names are tough and it is good to see you taking it seriously. Greys personalities do change somewhat with age. But, their basic composure, character, quirks and individuality remain intact.

With that in mind, name him/her according to how you see these components and on it responds to. I can't explain it, but when they hear a name that just "Fits", you will see a reaction as if they agree. :-)

At least that was the case with "Dayo". Good luck in selecting the right name for your Grey.

SO will it be bad if I wait to get the DNA sexing results back in about 10 days before we come to a solid name? That would give us time to get to know our new companion and make sure Fred does not lay and egg in the future?? If that is the case what should I call the bird until the results come in??

You don't really have to call him/her anything but bird, he/she will be so busy getting used to the new home and all to learn a name. Besides you won't be the first to not name your grey right off the bat, a few members here waited months before coming up with a name for their's. There will be plenty of time for it to learn it's name once its chosen.:)

When naming my birds I always have a long list of names I like and I just try them out until I decide which one I like best. I named my grey Lyric because I wanted him to have a musical name, something different and also I felt it could work for a boy or a girl. If you wait to name your bird it shouldn't make a difference. Just call it Pretty Birdie until you come up with the right name. Pretty bird is one of the things that is supposed to be easy for a bird to learn to say- so maybe it will pick up that and say it, but it's not a bad thing for a bird to say. Good luck in your decision- I know you'll come up with the perfect name in time!

All of my critters have unique names that were picked for different reasons.

Our dogs and cats all have either Greek or Hebrew names with different meanings...significant to the circumstances at the time they were born.

For Juji, my bird, I wanted a unique name, easy to say, that was gender neutral and had a significant meaning. Juji means "heap of love" in Swahili. She is definitely my heap of love.

• 2 months later...