NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biggle's first trip outdoors!

pixiexoxo

Hi all,

Thought I would share Biggle's first trip outside. The weather was good enough today to finally take him out to the garden. Not for too long, as we didn;t want to scare him, but once he was out and got on the grass he loved it!! :laugh:

Looking forward to the rest of summer now!!!

Photo-0084.jpg

Image008.jpg

Photo-0087.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: pixiexoxo, at: 2008/05/05 15:40

You are really lucky, I tried to take Charlie out just in his cage as it was a nice day and he freaked! Mind you the last time he was out will have been 8 months ago so its like he has forgotten what its like! Great pics, thanks for those.:)

Any tips on getting the harness on them? Gizmo won't let me touch him other than kisses or stepping up. I want to be able to take him out but I don't dare without a harness.

It takes a LOT of patience! If Gizmo isn't letting you touch him, then it's probably not a good idea to try get a harness on him yet. It took me ages to get Biggles to trust me to put a harness on him and he is very affectionate and doesn't mind being touched at all.

You need to get Gizmo used to you touching him on and under his wings, lifting them up and putting something over his head. I read a fantastic piece of advice on this forum about using kitchen roll with a hole torn in it to put over your bird's head. It gets them used to having something put over their heads and is easy to tear off if they become upset by it.

Praise, praise and more praise too :)

Good luck with the training, it is so worth it, especially to see them exploring in the grass :lol:

Amy x

Biggles is completely flighted and will be one year old in July :)

Biggle's harness training started pretty much as soon as we got him and has gone well. I did get a few chunks bitten out of me to start with (ouch) but he soon got the hang of it. It is just getting them used to the harness and letting them know it's not going to hurt them. I'm so pleased he's been outside now as i'm hoping he'll start associating the harness with having his fun in the sun time! :woohoo:

I have a harness for Klaus, but haven't tried it yet!

:unsure:

The instructions say to make sure you go straight outside once you get it on (to let them know all this unpleasantness isn't for naught!), so I'm waiting for a bit warmer day.

Max the harness comes with a great training video. But yes you need to be able to touch your bird to do it. The video gives tips on how to do that too.

However that being said I can not get one on my Que. She goes out in a travel cage and seems to enjoy that.

My Sweety is a rescue and she is starting to trust a lttle I'm sure its going to be a while yet before I can even touch her never nind a harness. she does let me rub her beak and kiss her beak and just this past week she has been stepping up onto my hand rather than a perch. We have s very long way to go before I attempt anything like a harness if ever. When she gors out she goes outside its in a cage on the sundeck. We also have a wild bird sancuary just down the road so there are allot of Hawks and Eagles. I would be a little nervous even in a harness about haveing her out without being in a cage. The Hawks are not afraid of Humans so they might just grab Tyco right from my hands. I think a cage is the only answer for my birds Pat