NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

my caf constant squeeling when im not by cage.

jjcool

have owned a african grey for about a year now, i bought him off a couple. i condider him tame as he lets me stroke him etc.

recently over last few months hes started to squeel really loud soon as i walk away from cage.

i try and tell him no when he does it as its a constant loud squeel, but my commands dont seem to be working.

any hints tips,

heres a video i took on utube of my monty and how everytime i move away from cage go to sit down or walk out of room he starts squeeling.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYoVKk365o

That seems normal to me. My Grey if left in the Cage and we leave the room or don't pay attention to him will try his best to call us over, make his little chirps, best whistles, anything to say "I want to be with You".

I don't know of any way to stop them from saying they want out or to be with you. Thats how they communicate. :-)

Hi

It was a very good idea about putting that video. It helps your problem alot. I personally think that you're totally mistaking what the situation is. First of all he's not squeeling. In the video, you're giving the bird nice attention and then walking away. The bird grabs ahold of the side bar and makes a sound which can be classified as a tweeting for lack of a better word. In other words *hey, come back and continue what you were doing* Then you go back and give him peanuts which he loves ( nuts are a favorite treat of parrots). After he eats it, he's on the side of the cage and tweeting at you again because he's saying the exact same thing as before. You come bach and start giving nice attention again and he wants more. Actually, it's your fault because after tweeting,you keep going back to give more attention and afterward he tweets again. I really don't know if you consider what he's doing as being a problem. Many people wouldn't. He's focused on you because of your attention to him. If he was also friendly with another person in your house and that person also did the same thing that you're doing, I'm sure that he would tweet again. You could compare what's happening to as the same thing that happens to other people when their bird screeches for long periods of time. I don't know if you've ever heard an african grey which it continually screeches or squawks. It's not pleasent for the human ear. Most greys don't do that but some do. It has a lot to do with a lack of attention to the bird. Some people are told to cover the bird. Some people are told to go to the bird and continuosly say *no*. Some people are told to walk away from the bird and totally ignore the continous loud annoying screeching. Some times all of these different things work and sometimes none of these things work because the bird has finally learned how to get the person's attention so the person keeps coming back time and time again.

From what I saw, there is no problem. You're talking to giving treats to the bird and he wants you to continue and he lets you know by making sounds. I'm sorry that you think it's a problem but if you do and want it to stop, you'll have to stop giving the bird that nice attention which includes talking and giving treats. You can also let that bird out of the cage and have some things around that he can entertain himself with. A playstand is ideal for that too.

To sum it up, it's you're fault because you're giving the bird love, affection and topping it off with treats.

PS--I'd like to ask you something..I think I recognise your voice or there's someone out in the UK that has a duplicate voice. Are you the person that had a number of videos done with another african grey which were extremely funny but more than likely, You Tube might have asked you to remove them???

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/03 19:06<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/03 19:08

If you think that is squealing You want to take a visit to my house! I think your grey is really quiet compared to mine, especially the tea time screeching session whilst he is hanging from the top of his cage by one foot! I dont think you have any problem.:)

He's making normal Grey whistles and nice sounds to attract your attention. He isn't screaming at all you would soon know if he was.

Does he get to spend periods out of his cage exploring? Grey's are very intellegent and they love to be involved with all of our day to day activities.

Doesn't sound like squealing to me either, just normal grey sounds and not that loud either, he definitely is asking for attention and you are giving it to him so why should he quit. When you go over to him then that is only reinforcing that the noise is getting his way. Why not let him out while you are home to play on a playstand or to entertain himself on the top of his cage.

I was also wondering if he gets time outside his cage? If he's been cage-bound for awhile, just leaving the door open and letting him come out on his own terms and take a 'walk' around the outside is good. Mounting a couple of perches, toys outside would be good to. Does he have things he can shred, a favourite bird activity. Means some paper pick-up for you, but keeps him engaged and looking to you less for his entertainment! Do you ever leave a radio or tv on when he's alone? Many birds like that. It's all about teaching him to entertain himself a bit.

I also noticed that you keep his cage cover piled on top of the cage. This will limit his view and his light. Make the area around his cage more interesting visually. Maybe pull the cage out of the alcove he's in during the day (easier if his cage is on wheels, I couldn't tell) Don't do all this at once because too many changes at once will make him feel very unsure and unsafe unless he's an unusually resilent soul.

You're not going to be able to stop him from calling out to you. He's a flock animal and you're his flock. He wants you with him and to know where you are all the time. I do agree that you're re-inforcing his behaviour by responding, even if it is with a 'no'. He's getting what he wants, a call back and even better sometimes a scratch or a peanut. You're just being a good dad and trying to teach him that he's ok and that you're there. If the particular sound that he's chosen for his call is like nails on a chalkboard for you there are some things you can do, but it takes time and consistency. (I know this from experience. Dorian's favourite contact call used to be an ear-drum peircing version of a budgie. ouch!)

In the video I heard Monty say a few words and make some sounds other than the 'squeal' Respond to those other sounds with praise and excitment and - here's the hard part - do not respond to the sound you're trying to extinguish. No response at all. Even a "don't do that" is a result for him. This goes for everyone in the household. It will be hard because I'll bet you'll find Monty has you trained pretty well so that responding is almost a reflex. If you respond after he's done it ten times, increasing the volume every time, then you've just taught him he has to do it ten times really loud to get what he wants! Grey's love praise so he'll figure out that one sound gets no reponse and others get answers, praise and treats.

This takes patience but it's worth it. Dorian has hardly done his budgie impression for the last couple of months.