NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEED Avian Vet L.A. County area

Hello. I have posted before but not too much. I would like to find an Avian vet in a reasonable proximity to where I live. I an in Norhtern L.A. County. I don't mind driving a bit. My 37 yr old Grey that I inherited from my Dad is falling a lot! Several times a day she ends up hanging upside down from her perch hanging on with her beak and talons. If we are here we go over and put our hand on her back and help her get back up. We are not always there! I had her nails trimmed last weekend but they did not take too much off. They said they were bad and that we should bring her back in 2 wks after the vein recedes a bit. Maybe the nail trim is making her fall more than usual. I don't know. Sometimes she does it when she is asleep but not always. Is she old? Someone told me the other day that Greys really only live to around 40. I thought it was much older. Is this behavior typical with old age? I am stressing out about this big time! Pat

Hello Jopalis,

It seems to be related to the nail trim, since that is when this issue started. Your Grey cannot recover from hanging upside down and right himself on the perch? He should be able to do so that on his own. Are you certain he is not just doing so, knowing you will come, open the cage and interact with him?

Greys can live to 70+ years. He is not "old" and feeble.

Here are the closest Avian vets I could find near Castaic:

http://www.capriplazapetclinic.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-47,GGLR:en&um=1&q=avian+vet&near=Burbank,+CA&fb=1&view=text&latlng=14961492818169266341

http://www.thewestvalleybirdsociety.com/Avian_Veterinarians.html

Please keep us posted. I hope all is well with your much beloved Grey!!

No this is not something new. It has just become more often since the nail trim. They only trimmed a little and said come back in two weeks. Said her nails were bad. Reason I took her for the nail trim is I thought that was why she was falling once in a while. Often when she slept. But now not just while sleeping. I don't think she can right herself but I will wait and see where she can't see me. This other vet came on the recommendation of a local bird store that seems decent. I made a vet appt. but can't get her in til this coming Friday. It is in Calabasas (Dr. Molnar) which is a bit of a hike for us. Anyone heard of them? She's worth it and more..... I just think maybe we should make sure there are no other issues than her talons. Check her calcium and see whatever else they suggest.

I saw a posting about some surgical/wound type tape to wrap their perch with but if she ate it would it make her sick?

Thank you. Pat

Post edited by: Jopalis, at: 2008/05/03 21:28<br><br>Post edited by: Jopalis, at: 2008/05/03 21:30

You are doing the right thing Pat, she needs a full workup at the vet's office, there might be some reason why she is falling and it may not have anything to do with her talons, please keep us updated on her and let us know what you find out from the vet.;)

when/why do they need a new perch? What size or type is best. Hers is a branch like one that came with the cage over 5 yrs ago.... Does she need a new one? She has picked at it but it doesn't have any big holes or anything. Wonder if it is too smooth? I am looking for all sorts of reasons but will go to vet too.

Some folks recommend a nutrition supplement. She was spoiled to people food and just a seed mix that you can buy anywhere. I tried giving her a better mix from bird store but she won't eat it. Is there a supplement I could mix into something? She eats her seed mix and beef, chicken or fish, cheese (a little cottage cheese or small piece of cheese), potatoes and some veggies. Small quantity of people food mostly when we are eating. Sometimes I give her some Cheerios or Kashi cereal. Just a few little pieces mixed in. She's not big on fruits and veggies and will throw them down.... I didn't spoil her like this... I inherited her. Now I want her to eat but maybe get some more nutrients into her.