NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Don`t let this happen to your CAG/TAG

MattSacks

Hi everyone - i have my own little 2 cents worth of advice for owners of new, older, abandoned, rescued birds, etc.

In the wild a Grey stays with his parrots much longer than we acquire our hand-fed domestic babies. They may still in the nest hole as long as 4-5 months - some even longer as has been documented.

Greys (like other parrots) - do go thru `stages` - infancy, toddler (yes, the `terrible 2`s!), adolescent, adult, sexually mature, and senior. (yes they can and do get cataracts, become senile, lose their sight and hearing, etc.) - but in the wild they go thru these stages as they explore and make their way around - and with help from their flock. These grey`s (as well all known) are very intelligent, and this exploration and curiosity are needs that must be met. (as opposed to `wants`)....

I have taken in a little female 7 1/2 years old. She was not fed properly, had no toys, was not handled after about 1 1/2 years old. The man I got her from got her out of her cage (screaming and kicking and flapping all around this huge cage!) - while he scrambled after her with a towel. It broke my heart! She was SO terrified - you could see it in her eyes! (and posture).

When i brought her home i opened the carrier and let her take her time going into her new home. She was very docile it seemed and it surprised me. Later that day i went to see her and she wanted a `tickle`. As the days progressed she came to me excitedly for more and more tickles. At one point when i wasn`t paying attention she placed her beak around my finger. Did she bite? NO. not even a nip. nothing. just her beak around my finger (felt like a feather! - or no feeling at all!. she let go of my finger and put her cheek against my finger and rubbed it herself. I knew it was time to take her out. I opened the door and held out my finger (not my fist) - and she climbed up on it. She was shaking a little bit as i carried her into another room, and she settled down quite easily. As the days have progressed she loves to come out - she`s been on playgyms - alone and with my other greys - and is starting to get down and move around and explore. She needs to do that. I encourage it. she is not yet quite comfortable on the floor - even with the other birds. but she is enjoying herself! I`ve been bringing her into different rooms and on different floors of my house. The way she looks around! She`s SO sweet!

I can`t imagine her not being a pet anymore and why isn`t she? (she was put into `breeding`).....

But this poor little grey has NO confidence! She is beginning to trust - though i doubt she will be as trusting as Toby (Toby is TOO trusting!) or my other parrots - but she may be!

But this, i feel, is the problem with many parrots. For one reason or another (and i don`t fault all parrot owners! many just don`t know - or don`t get it!) - greys must go thru there stages, and explorations, etc.

The NEED confidence to meet `what comes` their way. (and a LOT will come their way!)....They NEED trust!

I hope all owners of parrots will consider their `natural insticts` and stages and behaviors and help their baby become confident and trusting!

Help your bird thru their transitions to gain the confidence and trust -to be well-adjusted - and much happier. think how YOU would be without that! leicarose

Does anyone know of some useful confidence building techniques... this has been an issue I have been reading on in my books, and want to know more about. The books mention different techniques such as the towel game, but I was wondering if you had any specific techniques/lessons that have worked for you?

Also, I was talking to a macaw owner about harmful household items, and he mentioned that GE (General Electric) is teflon coating their light bulbs, which has been traced to the cause of death of some birds! Didn`t know if that was common knowledge or not.

Guess I gotta switch to a new brand.

Two dayz till I get to visit Tsunami! Eight more till he comes home!!!

I went through the exact same thing as you did just a few months ago. In April of this year I got a call from a fellow bird friend who told me about a 13 year old CAG who had been owned by an elderly woman. The woman got ill and had to be put into a nursing home and the parrot was in need of a new home. No one in her family wanted the bird because it appeared to be quite afraid of everyone and everything.

I`ve always been fascinated by CAGs but never owned one. (I own a 13 year Double Headed Amazon). I took "Barney" in and spent a lot of time trying to get him to trust me and come out of the cage. It took about three weeks but he eventually came out of the cage and instantly bonded to me. It`s such a treat now to go into my bird room and hear him say "Hi" in a loud whispered voice. He is quite the entertainer and imitates all kinds of sounds. One of his favorite things to do with me is to sit on my lap while I watch television. I have a piece of material that I cover him up with and he snuggles underneath it and falls to sleep.

I must note that Barney has never attempted to bite me at all. In fact when I first had him out of the cage he was quite gentle with everyone. This summer when I went on vacation my normal bird sitter watched him for me and told me that she got nipped a few times by him. I suspect that he has now bonded to me and wanted to let her know that she was not his mate.

Well, we certainly have a lot of Grey`s named Toby around here! :-)

Imagine if you will that you had no coping skills. What would you do? How would you react?

With fear, indecision, trepidation, inconsistencies, anger, misunderstanding, and more?????

You might resort to nipping and biting! - even severly! You would probably be quite nervous, neurotic or to the point of phobic? You would also probably be aggressive???

That is what happens (in my experiences) - with parrots who do not have any coping skills, or have lost them. that is where having the confidence and the trust comes from.

It takes patience to build up confidence and build up trust. For both parties. And one may happen quicker than the other. In some (small) sad cases, one never attains the skills) - but always try.

Lots of love helps. Patience. Feeding good food. And something i always stress (probably too much! - but i believe it to be `the key`) - socializing!

Babies are much easier to work with than older birds, but the rewards you receive from an older bird who develops the skills and becomes confident and self assured and trusts others- is *so* worth it!

Each person here (and others you may know with a parrot) has a bird of different attitudes and temperaments (and different species ARE different as well!) - and each person has their own personality traits as well. And different routines and lifestyles. But there are some basic techniques that can be applied to all.

Whatever you try, start slowly - and take your cues from your bird. S/he will tell you when s/he has had `enough` for one day - or one session. And reward your bird! Verbal praise is a treat in itself to a Grey!

Start taking your grey with you around the house - everywhere! And yes, they love a steamy bathroom! If you leave the room to get a snack, take her/him with you to get it. Introduce your bird to all the rooms - and take her/him around and show them everything in the room. Always talk to your bird. If they seem fearful of some object (even WE have fears of some things!) - talk to your bird about it and get around to playing with it and turning it into a fun game. Show you are not afraid of it. Let your bird join mealtime! And they get special treats then too! When i go to family dinners or holidays Toby always has a little bowl of food on the table - yes, my parents are more `indulgent` and tolerant of my parrots than me when i was as a child! ;-)....Do you play an instrument? Birds love sounds and music! Let her/him sit on you, or by you while you play - or just listen. Sing along - excitedly and soon they will join in! How much time are you at the computer? where is your bird? i take mine outside. They love it out doors! I keep them away from trees - even clipped parrots can glide to a tree (or bush) - climb up it, glide again, and keep on til it`s higher and higher. Don`t let that happen! Mine love the grass - Toby even does a thing i call `grass diving` when the grass is taller. They love to explore (one of their instincts that must be allowed!) - but watch out for harm! (i`ve even seen a few hawks hovering up in the sky above me!) - They get used to noises, trucks, motorcycles, sirens, seeing people and neighbors. Mine all love to play with the neighborhood kids. And nobody has ever gotten bitten - though i tell them that yes, birds can bite. No teasing is allowed. toby loves to play `catch` - and fetch like a dog! He will throw an object at you (or someone near anyway!) - and i toss it back. He`ll do this thousands of times. Toby as well as my cockatoo Django are also `trick trained` (like playing basketball, ring toss, scooters, roller skates, etc.) - Toby will lay on his back - for hours! Birds LOVE games! Especially when you play with them!

Always interract with your bird. While this goes on (and to me it is an `everyday thing`) - it is like having the little one literally attached at the hip.

I bring toby everywhere i can - even supermarkets! He LOVES everyone!

Going bye-bye car makes his day! He loves visiting new places and meeting new people.

Feed your bird some cereal - like Gerber Rice and Apples (my pets favorite!) - with a little warm water. Use a spoon. Do it at the same time each day. Don`t be surprised if your `baby` resorts or reverts to just that! Trying to chug it down like it did from `mommy` or from a hand-feeding syringe! That`s good! Doing this is another bonding procedure - with an instant reward. And who doesn`t love `instant gratification` (okay *sometimes* instant is better!)..... plus, if you ever have to medicate your bird, taking by spoon will be no problem.

Cuddle time at night. Very important. Even if it`s only for 4 minutes. (they would love hours!) - sit quietly and snuggle. Say their favorite things - sing a song. They especially love it if you use their name. Make up a tiny rhyme. Mine will immediately start saying it - especially with their name attached!). Put them to bed on a `good note`.

Your bird will go through the natural `growing phases` that s/he is SUPPOSED to. It will become more calm and sights and sounds will grow familiar.

Picture yourself as a nervous, neurotic, phobic agoraphobic - and a depressed on, too! (always inside, in the same room, caged up most of the time, etc.)

That unfortunately is many parrots problems. They are overwhelmed by anything and everything. you would need to take `baby steps` to overcome all this, and so will your bird. It will love you in return! Also, if you have others to do this with you (or do it by themselves when you are not around - or even better - do it alone so the bird becomes accustomed to more than one `therapist` if you will permit that) - they will be SO responsive! and of course, positive reinforcement!

Behavior therapy is about the same for Grey`s (and other parrot species) - as for humans - a little slower - and luckily not charged by the hour! :-)

I could go on and on, but i`d be `book length` - and yes, i do digress!

A grey with confidence and trust and coping skills is a bird who can react and respond in a positive way to whatever is thrown at it. (let`s hope not literally!)

Now EGO is another chapter! :-) okay - so where is your Grey right now? (yup! mine loves pulling keys off the keyboard!). leicarose

read more »

I said `THEY MAY stay in the nest hole......` - and yes, it has been documented. on GOOD authority.....and sometimes, when (some - though FEW) - breeders let the parents take care of the baby, they CAN SOMETIMES stay that long in the nest as well. i did NOT say ALL or MOST do - i said the MAY...... again, on good authority - of over 70 years observation.

If you even waste your time on this forum youll soon realize "birdbrain" DC Doug is his ownsmall minded authority. So yes indeed, he is an authority. Supposedly he is some reknowned bird guy, woohoo. Im some reknowned bird guy too. Ive been round the world.... im even a bird trainer....