NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello to all

Hello,

I am 32 years young. Have active duty navy since 1 Sep 1993, roughly 15 years. I grew up with several kinds of birds. Blue and golds, cockatoos, coakatiels, canors, Amazons and a few others.

I have always wanted to be owned by an AG. I still to this day have not found the right bird for me. Every place I look seems to care more about making a sale than the health and happiness of the birds. I found a beautiful CAG here in san Diego, however , they claim the bird is only 8 weeks old and that it will be weaned in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I am no expert but I have been doing my home work. If I remember correctly 20-24 weeks is the earliest amount of time for weaning. I do not want to buy a bird and then have trouble weaning it due to regression nor do I want to miss the flock/mate bonding by taking over with the parent bond. I may be over reacting or being over cautious, but I plan to have this bird until I am too old to care for it and then pass it on to one of my children. I want a CAG ASAP. I have already picked out the cage, toys perches and extras perches. My apartment has been set up to provide the most comfortable enviornment for my famlies newest member. Should you have some ideas or contact info for a breeder or responcible pet/bird store between San Diego and LA California Please let me know. i am so excited to finally be able to afford and be off sea duty and finally brind a CAG home. Hope get to know some of you here.

V/R

JC

Hello Big_Squishy and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey you are going to get.

Did you not find anything on the site www.avianbiotech.com as that is a good site to look for breeders in a specific area? Maybe some of the members who are from that area will give you some names of reputable breeders and guide you in the right direction.

In the meantime, read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.:)

Thank you for the warm welcome.I am currently doing all of the research i can. last night I bought 7 new books trying to gather information that is the same and find the common diferances between what is said to be true of greys. I purchased Parrots for Dummies, Some parrot cook book, Breaking bad habbits in Parrots, parrot problem Solver, The African grey Parrot handbook, The birdkeeper's Guide to African greys, Guide to a well behaved Parrot. I am open to any sugestiong and hope I will be able to find my AG before the end of this weekend. i have been looking for well over a year.

Thank you once again and I will make sure to use all of the resources here and possible add some of my own as I learn.

JC

Hi Big_Squishy:

If you are looking for books to read about the grey then I highly recommend the book "For the Love of Greys" by Bobbi Brinker. It is the best one I have ever read and I've read a lot. I really agree with her whole philosophy on everything to do with birds. I wish you the best of luck on finding the right bird for you.

MazyAK I wanted to thank you for the links. I had seen the sites before but for some reason associated them with another store that I did not like. I found two AGC just about 9 months old. The price is a bit higher than I was quoted a couple other places but I think Our Feathered Friends and their sister store A bird haven will have everything I need and more. not to mention a bird that they say should be perfect for me looking that I want a talker and a bird that is active. I know it is only a guess but I hope they are right.

They give a one year return/ exchange clip the wings and nails for free for as long as I own the bird or they are in buisness and will do all they can to answer any question I can not find the answers to myself.

The guy at the store says he believes you gave him your card and information and he thinks he lost it. I told him you turned me on to his store and that you bought the bird down here and took it to Alaska. He is looking to get intouch with you.

Thank you once again!! Lets hope all goes well and tomrrow evening my new family member should be home!!!!!!

Boy this is a real turnaround, here you were thinking you would have to wait months to get your grey and you may be bringing it home tomorrow, wow you are getting it done. This is what is so special about belonging to forums, the connections you find when you are looking for something. I know Bruce will be overjoyed about you purchasing from the same place he got his cockatoo.

Please let us know if you do bring this grey home tomorrow and I want to see pictures too.