NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bad Wing Clip-Continuing Issue

mas

Hi Guys!

This follows up from my last post "Feather Plucking?".

Zahzu had a bad wing clip, and now, she has pulled out the fibres from the bottom of the quill on the 3 remaining "long" feathers on her right wing. Now, she has actually broken one of the wing feathers in the middle and it's kind of hanging there.

I'm giving her palm oil every day with a treat, bathing her, giving her heaps of attention as usual, have put a couple more wooden toys that she loves to destroy into her cage to act as a further distraction.

I'm just so worried she is going to become a feather plucker - my husband says I'm being over-paranoid, but I'm just so worried!

Any advice is highly appreciated!

I'll try to attach a photo of her right wing just now!

Thank you all so much once again,

Sameera.

I don't know what you're worried about. You should be very happy that he pulled out the rest of the broken feather. Some birds don't do that and it winds up being the task of the person to do that. many people don't know how to do that and sometimes injure the bird which then calls for a visit to the vet which turns out to be expensive. Palm oil isn't an instant cure for any damaged feathers. It simply adds to the healthy structure of future feathers that will come out and also to feathers that are already out but have not yet reached their dying days in which they'll soon fall out.

Feather plucking--I doubt it. Feathers that are left on the body after a terrible short wing clip are very irritating to a bird and their natural instinct is to pull them out. The skin gets very sore. Go to the drug store and purchase some aloe vera gel and lightly rub some into the base of the body where the bad feathers are. The gel will eventually sink in to the skin and soothe those areas.

The gel costs about $5. make sure it says 100% pure on the bottle. It's a clear gel.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/04/30 22:04<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/04/30 22:11

Is there enough feather left to have this bad clip corrected?

Clips that leave to much feather can poke and bother a bird. If you can get them shortened so they don't do that it should stop the problem.

I have never had issues other then dropping like a rock when they are to short.

In the mean time more baths should help a lot adding aloe vera juice to it. You can get that straight from a plant of from a health food store.

Good luck

Firstly, Dave007 and Tari I am so relieved! Thank you.

I'm sure it must be really irritating for her that's why she's pulling and plucking at those feathers - I will take her to the vet and try to get it sorted out...I don't mind spending the money if it means our baby will be more comfortable.

I have been looking around for pure aloe gel and aloe juice, but here where I've moved to in South Africa it's hard to find (we don't have a health food store here) - will keep hunting. I know the palm oil won't work immediately - it's like us humans taking multi-vitamins and expecting it to work straight away!

Anyway, I'm calm now .... thanks!

Will keep you all posted on progress.

ps. she's busy breaking and pulling out a 2nd feather now...hmmm

-Sameera

Don't you have a drug store or pharmacy out there? Where do you buy your aspirin?. Aloe gel is as common as human hand lotion. It's sold for people.

Maybe you need to consult with the Ubangi Tribal Counsel. They perform special rituals that induct young boys into manhood. They have many secret herbs and potions and magical ointments that will help a person keep people young looking through their life time. Their people are 75 yrs old and still harvesting wheat by hand and carrying it on their backs to their tents in the jungles.

PS--if you have a Walmart anywhere around, you can get both items there.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/04/30 23:16

Hi Mas,

I am a South African living in England and know for sure that you can buy aloe gel out there as my brother still lives there and I have seen it in his bathroom :)

Am pretty sure you can get it in either the bigger supermarkets such as pick n pay or chemists.

Good luck!!

Amy x

Thanks Amy! I will try Pick n Pay - I'm new to South Africa; moved here few months ago from Australia (surprisingly there wasn't a "wrong way - go back" sign!!) Am still finding my way around... thanks so much, really appreciate it!

Dave007 - I'll try the local sangoma ;-) and my husband did try the pharmacy, the aloe gel they stocked all had additives in it, he couldn't find 100%...anyway, there is a herbalist around the corner from where my husband works - he can do some amazing things - he advertises that he can: bring back run away wife, chase away demons, enlarge certain body parts (won't mention), cure aids etc... i'm sure he has a cure for feather plucking! maybe i'll give the vet a miss and go see him rather??? (jj!)