NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

outside flight?

dan_erobbo

hi guys, im considering building an outside flight for my congo seeing as the summer is just around the corner, anything i should consider before doing this? Should i include a hideaway box for my grey and will my grey become distressed as shes been in the house for almost 1 year, thanks

I couldn't speak for you bird, but in the past when I have done the nice thing and given my birds the freedom of an outdoors aviary, they tended to get a bit wild. These weren't greys though, these were tame lovebirds and cockateils. being outside was obviously far more enjoyable for them than being inside and that seemed to make them less tame.

Another thing to watch out for is obviously the wire fencing you use, as certain sizes can cause them to get their claws or legs stuck and bleed which is very distressing for everyone involved.

What I will be doing with corkey is just taking her whole cage, outside, if I can, and just sitting out there with her while i sip my lemonade B) be nice to let her spread her wings, but shes not much of a flyer I dont think.

I think its a lovely idea to what what you want to do though, and I'm sure someone here can offer a more experience voice when it comes to greys specifically.

If you were to make something similar to the photo, you would first have to buid a concrete base that it would sit on. Ideally, the concrete would be put on top of solid patio flooring. That concrete would have to be at least 4 inches high.The concrete would have to have 4 rising blocks under each corner. Those blocks would be made of bricks. The concrete and the bricks can't be put into soil because eventually the the avairy would sink into the ground and would become off balanced and attract different tunnel boring insects. Outside weather would affect how solid the soil would stay. The one above is made of wood. That's an ideal material in which the carpenter ants and termites couldn't resist. So, you'll need to do some more research on this project and make sure that all of the other neccessities are covered. The first thing you should forget about is using a wood frame. The one above is fine as an indoor aviary only.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/04/26 21:28