NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Only 1 egg out of 3 is fertile!

fairymyst78

Well I just received an email from the breeder and she told me that only one of the three eggs in the clutch is fertile, but should be hatching very soon.

Should the fact that the baby bird will be an only child worry me? Will there be unusual behavioral issues because of no brothers or sisters?

I am worried that something will happen to this one little lonely baby and then my wait for my Grey just gets longer. I had hoped that at least all 3 eggs would hatch..just for that piece of mind.<br><br>Post edited by: fairymyst78, at: 2008/04/22 20:14

Yes, I have put a deposit down for one of this breeder's birds. She told me that it is not uncommon for this to occur, and the last baby this pair of birds had turned out to be an awesome little birdy and found a home quite quickly. She did tell me that she has other birds that should be laying eggs soon as well and not to worry.

B)

Hi fairymyst78-

My Lyric was an only birdie too, don't worry, it will do fine if it is alone. I think they probably would have an easier time socializing with another bird if they were brought up in a group but I don't know. Lyric is spoiled of course but what grey with an owner on this forum isn't? I would just make sure that the baby gets lots of one on one attention and is well socialized with people.

fairymyst78 is your breeder going to handrear this grey to fully weaned ? Perhaps air your concerns with your breeder & ask how she intends to raise the baby, if that doesnt put your mind at ease then wait for another clutch, But personally i dont see any issues or problems with the lone baby.

By three months the baby will be eating a variety of foods,you wont need to continue handfeeding for a another three months, but i would give a nightime feed from a spoon, a little baby food or similiar.many babys find this a comfort, my boys still love a spoonfeed at 15 months ;)