NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Grey Owner in Wisconsin

Hi all,

New to the forum, and new to owning a Grey. I've had other smaller birds in the past, but have wanted a Grey since I was 10 years old...

Well, some 20+ years later (:blink:) the time has finally come... My wife and I own a house, and have the time and finances to commit to a long-term relationship like taking care of a Grey.

We've placed a deposit on a Red-Tailed nestling. She (We don't have a DNA sexing test, and don't plan on getting one, we're just saying it's a she) has not yet been weaned. But, we are invited to visit the bird at anytime, watch the feedings, and interact with the bird.

Just today, she did her first step-up onto my wife's hand, and sat there for about 10 minutes. B)

We're very excited for her to be weaned so she can come home, but also a bit apprehensive, as well. We've been reading all we can about Greys for the last few weeks now, and are trying to do everything right, but we're still a bit nervous that we might do something wrong in this very, very important time in the birds life... We do not have kids, but we do have a small dog (a Jack Russell Terrier) that we're a bit worried about reigning in when the bird comes...

So, I found this place and plan on doing a LOT more reading over the next days and weeks till our Grey is weaned and comes home with us.

Thanks for such a good resource!

WELCOME! Please do read as much as you can. They are great additions to the family, challenging, but the rewards are worth it for a lifetime companion/friend.

Feel free to ask questions. There is sure to be someone here with useful information, or at least opinions! :P:) Seriously we have great members, willing to help, share information and learn from each other. ;)