NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PBFDV question

jujubechan

Hello everyone!

It has been a long time since I posted here,

I wanted to ask the members if they knew anything about PBFDV and if the bird who has the disease can moult?

Sadly two of my baby greys have PBFDV and I was supposed to do another test but I can't afford doing so right now but lately I've noticed there is new feathers coming out, though they did not lose their feathers, one has his feather fully but then he started to scratch himself or itches and the feathers would fall, the other one lost a bit of his feather on his neck but then I noticed new ones coming out..I was wondering if that means the test was not correct and they no longer have it? I am living in terror every single day, I just can't deal with the fact that my babies are sick :(

Any information would be appreciated.

- Tami<br><br>Post edited by: jujubechan, at: 2008/04/17 19:07

Hi Mark, yes, please read my previous sad story about my grays: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/african-grey/44010-heart-broken.html#44010

They were both tested, both confirmed that they carry the disease, it just I keep hoping it's gone and their immune system got stronger with the care I have given them, but I just can't be sure and right now I can't really do anymore tests as it cost a fortune.

:S Im not Mark :P

False positive and false negative test results can occur. For example, infected airborne cells could contaminate a sample and cause a false positive result. Healthy birds with a positive test result should be retested after 90 days. If they still have positive test results, they should be considered carriers of the virus. If the retest is negative, the bird may have eliminated the virus, and become immune.

False negative results may occur if too much anticoagulant is present in the sample, an extremely high number of viral particles are present and interfere with the test, or there are an insufficient number of infected white blood cells in the sample.There is no specific treatment for PBFD.

my best wishes to you Tami x