NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello!

Hi everyone! I am a disabled mom of 2 human kids and 2 cockatiel kids! I actually have started the process to purchase a Congo african grey to join our family. I am paying the deposit this Friday!!! Baby is anticipated to hatch end of next week. It's going to be a long 3 months until I get to bring home the little bundle of joy. When I was a kid our family owned an amazon parrot and ever since I grew up and moved out on my own I have ached to have a parrot to love!

I do have a question for everyone here with Grey experience...I use an electric wheelchair full time and I figuring the bird will need to get used to it. Anyone have any idea's for me to help the bird get used to my wheelchair and to not be frightened of it?

Hi fairymyst78 & Welcome to the forum.How exciting waiting for your baby grey to hatch.It will be a long wait,but then you will have a lifetime to share with your grey.

A very good point on the wheelchair,once your baby is being reared will you be able to visit on a regular bases ? Introducing your wheelchair from a very young age will allow your baby to accept it as normal,he/she will know no different & take it in his/her stride ;)

Look forward to hearing more from you.

The breeder is located about a 20 minute drive from here and she does welcome me to go visit at any time. I am not sure how accessible her home would be to me though, since I have not visited yet. Maybe if I can't get in her home, she could bring the bird out to visit me in my van.

I think that is a great idea you had! My kids def. have acted different towards my chair from a very early age then other kids do. My kids learned to climb up on my lap before they even learned to walk! So I could see how a bird would be used to it just being introduced to from a very early on age.

Last night I could barely sleep I kept thinking of my soon to be new baby!!!! The bird is basically a birthday present from my hubby to me, but my birthday is before we can bring bird home, so hubby said he will take me to see the bird on my bday!<br><br>Post edited by: fairymyst78, at: 2008/04/15 18:09

Written by Penny - Talon Admin

Karma is a wonderful way to let other members know that you liked their post. It is shown in the members profile, and appears under your avatar when you post a reply.

Karma is the same as giving a compliment. Under the avatar, you will see a thumb up, or a thumb down. If you like the post, you click on the thumb up, and their karma will increase by one, if you click on the thumb down, then it will decrease by one.

You are allowed to give one karma every six hours.

I certainly would like to see everyone take advantage of this and use your karma daily. We want all members here to feel good about their posts.

Thanks to all members,

Talon

Hello Fairymyst78 and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey you are getting.

Yes if you introduce the wheelchair early on your baby will get used to it quickly and never know any difference. I hope when you do go visit you are able to go inside as the breeder probably will not be able to bring it out to you.

These next few months will feel like the longest time you have ever spent but it will be worth it when you finally get to bring that baby home and then you will have a lifetime to enjoy your new grey.

Please take a little time and read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

The explanation of karma is in our FAQ section but you no longer have 0 karma for I just gave you one.

We would enjoy seeing pictures of your new baby when you do go visit or certainly by the time you bring it home.:)

Hello and welcome Fairymyst. What a great bday present, It will def be worth the wait. I hope you will enjoy it here, and you have plenty of time to read and learn before you bring your baby home. Cant wait to see some pics. Caroline :)

Thank you to all for the very warm welcome! I have read through lots of stuff, and still have so much left to read! I have allot of time to read up and study. Also the breeder seems to want to help me with anything I need in preparing for bird to live here with me! :)

You poor thing... 3 months to wait!! I was so lucky with both my birds as I didnt have to wait for either of them. I just chanced on Liath in a pet shop and fell in love and took her home, all in the same day.

And Oisin was advertised at 3 months, so again I went to the breeder and took him home.

I really feel for people who have to wait for their babies, and yours isnt even hatched yet!

On the plus side you will get to see your grey grow, where mine were almost adult sized when I got them!

Welcome fairymyst78!!!

Well congratulations on placing your deposit down this Friday on a CAG. You will not be disappointed.

Will you be able to visit regularly? It is a wonderful experience if you can. Three months will give you plenty of time to be prepared for bringing him/her home once ready. :-)