NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African greys with other birds.

Amber

Hello, In the near futrure, i will be geting a 10 day old cockatiel chick which I will be hand rearing myself. I was wondering how you can tell if an African grey likes another bird or not? I used to have a budgie and Tuki (my grey) just used to watch him. If my budgie was flying around the room, I would keep Tuki in her cage as I wasn't sure if they'd get on. If my budgie landed on the outside of Tuki's cage, she would quickly climb round inside of her cage like she was chasing him and I had to quickly get my budgie off as I was afraid she would bite his little legs off! However, I have seen a budgie and a grey in a magazine sitting together and they looked like friends! Do they need to be brought up together as babies to be friends? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, Amber.

Yeah you canwork something out for I have a grey and a sun conure and they don't get along but they do co-exist in the same room just not near each other. My conure usually spends the time on my shoulder while the grey is on her playstand, works for me.:P

The cockatiel will be with me a lot as I am hand rearing him/her. I think I'd better clip Tuki's wings again incase she flys at the baby. She has grown her wings and can now fly well indoors. As the warm weather is coming, the last thing I want is to lose my beloved grey out through the open door!:( I don't think I should have let them grow back because now she knows what it's like to fly again and I'll feel bad clipping them again. You learn from your mistakes though don't you?!:pinch: