NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kea Parrot of New Zealand

danmcq

I stumbled upon Kea Parrots of New Zealand. They are quite the characters, even to the point of being a nuisance.

The are VERY smart and do not seem fearful of Humans from what I have gathered watching these Videos.

One websites description:

http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/kea.html

Has been persecuted as a sheep killer but there is some doubt as to the extent it attacks healthy animals. A very cheeky bird, this mountain parrot is quite capable of doing damage to your car by pecking all the rubber from around the windows and pulling off windscreen wipers—not to mention what it might do to what you have on your roof rack! Partially protected (may be hunted or killed by an occupier of land only when causing damage on that land).

Enjoy these Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47yPGomIj0&feature=related

edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/04/13 02:01

Great videos. never knew they were tricksters too.

I saw a show on TV and there's was about 10 of them and they destroyed someone's car They ripped the lining from the edges of the windows including windshield. Bent the car aerial.They got in the car and chewed up all the seats, bit off the covering of gas and break pedals.I have no idea whether the insurance covered kia attack.

Man, I miss every parrot show there is on TV. I must have really bad timing on TV watching. I am always scanning scanning APL, National Geographic, Science etc. channels and never see them.

I'm not sure I would want a Kea for a pet. They seem VERY destructive by nature. But, they are sure fun to watch :-)