NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is it worth the time+money?

Knight05

I've been doing some research into (AVID) Microchips for birds. Supposedly it's a rather cheap effective relatively painless and harmless method of tagging you bird much like a leg band. Primary reasons being for identification but the microchip has a nifty feature to basically turn your parrot into a low-jack system. There is suppose to be a USA based company that for little each month has access to your birds centralized location at all times and it identifies them to animal control centers etc etc so there is no mix ups.

Obviously I'm not worried about someone "stealing" my parrot but rather it getting out some day some how and flying the coop! This wouldn't happen by any means with even some what responsible guidance of the bird but for the over protective spoiling parrot owner is it worth it? Any info or 2 cents would be appreciated :)

Spence personally i am all for micro-chipping.My two boys were micro chipped as opposed to having a ring.The microchip is a tiny computer chip about the size of a grian of rice with a unique identification number programmed into it. The chip is placed in a hypodermic needle and then injected under the skin, where it stays permanently. sometimes a little bleeding may occur but dont be put off by that, as often as not greys are fine.

The chips are a great way to identify and find owners if your grey was to escape.The basic reason for chipping is for reliable identification of a bird. It is safe and unlike leg bands, cannot be easily removed. :)<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/04/11 17:27

We had dusty Chipped and he was fine no blood they use some glue to close the whole as AG skin is very thin. If you get this done just dont be in the room when your AG is getting done. Or your AG may hold this against you lol.