NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

rex doesnt like my son

rex30

Hi My african grey is great with myself, he lets me do anything with him, he tolerates my partner, but my son who is 10 , rex wont let him near him, he fluffs his feathers up, tries to bite him and even chases him, what can i do? My son is very upset.

Guest Skuffy

Awwwwwwwww...My son got bit the othernight on his Lip..Lucky he didn't rip tho...Was my son fault..Max asked for a Kiss...Kiss..kiss...Mark lent forwards kissed him,,but asked for another,,lent forwards again,,Max nudged him to say no..Mark lent forwards again then took a bite...

I burst laughin..poor lad cryed his eyes out,,,but came back to Max 2mins after with a nut..saying look at what you just done.....

Its a fact Greys and children don't get on very well, I'll read up see what i can find out for you..

You should understand something that specifically has to do with greys..they're well known to not like children right away. Children are too irractic and fast for greys. The most important thing to know now is that your grey is a face biter. Some never get to that point but many others do so now is the time for your child to stop with the mouth to beak kissing. That also happens with greys that allowed on shoulders. Some will stay there with no problems while others will go after jewelry, hair, clothing collars, ear lobes etc. When a grey does that it's time to stop the shoulder thing cause that's a habit they won't change.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/04/10 19:41

No matter how well socialized a grey is they do tend to favour one person in the house,of course there are exceptions to this & it depends on the individual grey.

How does your son behave around Rex ? is he very animated, noisy, fearful ? Greys are very sensitive & Rex will pick up on all that is going on around him.If your grey has decided he does not like your son there isnt an awful lot you can do,Try getting your son to feed Rex his favorite treat,perhaps when he is in his cage & with you not in the room,let your son sit next to him,read him a story etc. No touching tho.Let Rex see your son's not the bad guy,dont be dissapointed tho if Rex doesnt accept him there's nothing you can do.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/04/10 19:41

My son tries his best with Rex, he talks, sings to him, gives him treats,toys to play with but as soon as my son has nothing to give him he does not like it, if my son puts his hand out to scratch Rex he will attack, my son does pull his hand back quickly as he has been bitten twice before, he is petrified really but wants so much to play with Rex. If my son is sitting next to me and his head lowers Rex will lunge at him, Rex occassionaly lands on my sons head but as soon as he realises where he has landed he is off in a shot.

Guest Skuffy

I agree..Max did bite Marks face..but i told him..i know Max now..I see if hes going to let you pet him or not...

Yes he has ripped ear-ring out my ear, made a mess when i first got him...I like my gold but now on my right hand i have none,,No ear-ring in either...and i take my chains off.It wasn't the Greys fault he bit MArk...I told him not to go for another kiss, Max told him NO!!by the Nudge..i saw him do it,but mark inssisted, took his bite{Nature-00020095}

I did warn him..

Guest Skuffy

Marks nearly 14, and No he's never loaud near him nor does he jump about.He talks to him like i do,and can only touch Max's beak...

Guest Skuffy

Theres is a few Pic's in my profile where Max is sat on Mark Jnr shoulder, but he was trying to get to me,,,Made for a good Pic tho

You always wait for a grey to present their head to you for a scratch,never put your hand out to scratch them without an invitation, your asking to get bitten.If your son is petrified of Rex then Rex has picked up on this & thats why he acts as he does around your son.Im afraid you may have to accept that he doesnt like your son.

Guest Skuffy

Max doesn't like my Mrs....hahahaha..but i haven't said this to her....when she goes nxt to his cage he attacks his bell....We tryed this out,,,I asked her to go in the front room,,then come stand by his cage,,,,He went nuts at his Bell,,,Every time,,,If she walks pasted him,,,he tries to grab her hair or her top....I say Awwwwwwwww..he's playing with you...But he's not...:woohoo:

She to can only touch his beak..nothing else...

As for me...well i can do anything,,,,well not anything but i will soon....I present Max with the back of my hand,,he will nudge me to say no thanks,,,Or lift a leg..Step up.....Or he simply climbs down to my Pc chair then onto me..{Nature-00020095} Am a smart Parrot...lol

My friend has two boys, ages 7 and 12. Her AG is ok with one of her boys but not with the other (I dont remember which one) BUT with that said, the one her bird doesnt like and will bite is the one who shows fear towards her bird. He will also get on the floor and run after her son he doesn't like. Has your son ever did anything to your bird to scare him? WHen I had my Caique he loved all of us. But one day he turned on my oldest. I know why though...she had one of those lazer things you play with the cat with,she shinned it on him and it scared him - ever since Jester was out to "get" Kaylee. He certainly held a grudge. Now, out of my kids, he was the MOST careful and sweetest with my toddler, which at that time (before he passed) she was a baby. SHe had no fear and I remember when she started pulling up to walk she would do so on his cage, and he would rush to the bottom of his cage and go "play" with her.. gently nibbling on her fingers, and when he was out he loved to preen her hair. It was quite sweet. I honestly think its because she never scared him and she showed no fear. Could be a number of reasons I think why he doesnt like your son..they're also known (from what I have read) to not like kids too much. I hope Rex comes to like your son, but he may never.

We are working on adopting an 11 year old girl, she will be our foster child first and has spent a lot of time at our house...

The problem is Juji won't leave her alone. If Juj is out she will fly to Anna's head and if Anna tries to have her step up, she will bite her. If I take her off of Anna's head she immediately flies back on. These two are going to be with each other for a good portion of both of their lives, and I really want them to get along.

Help?

re:Did You Know ? - 2008/04/09 00:53

This is from another thread. It helped another member, maybe it will help you.

You can appear friendly to a grey by looking at them sideways, squinting your eyes, and lowering your head a little. Big, round eyes can be frightening.

I went through the same thing with Klaus not liking my son. I think it is because, try as they might, kids just can't be as quiet, gentle, and MELLOW as you need to be in order to not freak a grey out. Even if your son is as quiet and gentle as he can be, your bird may have witnessed him being boisterous and now doesn't trust your son. Things may improve in time, though. My son can now pet Klaus sometimes, but only when Klaus puts his head down for a pet.

Good luck!

Hanna - Since you know what your Juji is going to do. Set it up so that it can not happen. Not knowing how this takes place makes it difficult to advise you. But, you can do a few things to stop this.

If your child knows this is going to happen, have her face Juji never taking her eyes off of her. If Juji starts to fly, have her put her arm up horizontally as the landing target. Juji will do one of two things, land on the arm or fly over and land somewhere else. Juji knows she has full control if she lands on the head.

You just need to figure out the best way to impede or stop juji from having an easy time accomplishing this. If she does succeed. Stair Juji straight in the eye(s) and tell her NO firmly and return her to where she came from.

Have your 11 year old girl (protected) give Juji treats to build the relationship. Right now, I suspect Juji views her as not part of your Flock and someone getting time and attention that Juji used to.

Good luck. :-)