NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

shabby feathers

rex30

My african is 5 months old, his feathers on top are fine, tail feathers a little split, but underneath they are soft and look all matted together (dont even look like feathers) is this his baby feathers? is this normal? He doesnt like baths, showers or even the mist spray.

Rex those are his downy feathers underneath the top ones and they do look different but they are normal. He will probably go thru a molt in the next few months and he will lose a lot of them but they will be replaced.

He really should be getting a bath or shower of some sort about twice a week, it cuts down on the dust and helps the skin, you may have to just do it.

I don't think you have ever introduced yourself, why don't you make a post in the welcome room and tell us a little about you and your grey.:)

They can look pretty shabby when they are young and while they are molting. Mine went through a very clumsy period where he kept falling off things and ended up breaking all his tail feathers. He looked pretty funny without a tail for several months before it started growing back. And then, he'd grow back one or two feathers and they would break off. Eventually it all grew back though. Like Judy said, you should give him some kind of bath- start off by misting with a plant mister and see how he reacts. Whether he likes it or not it is good for him and hopefully he'll grow to like it.

Most of our birds aren't big fans of misting or showers, but you have to do it. How smelly would our kids have been if we didn't force them to bathe:laugh: Having the mist cold seems to be more popular with our babies. I keep my bottle in the fridge. Also, lots of praise and a favourite treat after seems to help with the sulking after, at least with Dorian! Good luck.

The magic words

""Whether he likes it or not it is good for him"""

They do need baths, they won't like it but they will hold no grudges. In time,after many times he'll expect it and put up with it.

The other magic words

""""Having the mist cold seems to be more popular with our babies. I keep my bottle in the fridge. """"

They do prefer cold water as opposed to room temp water. I'll add one other thing..Even adult greys like colder water.

Tracy

Well, not to worry. Many love the cold water but there are many that don't. I know that my greys don't tolerate tepid water. My mistake. I should have added that concerning tepid water. What's important with your birds is that they like getting wet no matter what the temperature is. Nothing like having clean feathers. When the feathers molt and fly around the house and you need to vacuum, just think about the very clear, clean dust that'll go up your nose. It's a good feeling, right? I apologise.

Ya i agree where did you read up on the cold water thing? Mine shivers in the shower even with room temp or luke warm water. I usually have to turn the water up to inferno porportions to steam the thing up before she gets comfortable if it's hot and steamy enough she even falls asleep in the shower. My girlfriend loves hot showers like that too maybe I should get HER to wash chloe!!! But of course I keep the water room temp when I actually "wash chloe" cause I wouldn't risk burns just for the sake of comfort. She is smart enough to know after like 6 showers to just bite the bullet and get it over with. She hardly moves and let's me hit her undercarrige and all in one shot. It's rather smooth sailing I should probably thank my lucky stars.

I had to buy her a shower perch though because as a guy she kept going for MY attached perch if you catch my drift. And even a nibble could send me screaming. But I'm over that hurdle now and all is peachy :)

"I had to buy her a shower perch though because as a guy she kept going for MY attached perch if you catch my drift. And even a nibble could send me screaming. But I'm over that hurdle now and all is peachy "

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face Spence {Feel-good-0002006E}