NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

another question on ring bands

greenwinged

the band should have a few letters and going the opposite was 2 numbers. Cash (my ekkie) his says LWA136 which means he is from Lake White Aviaries and was the 136th bird hatched that year. Going the opposite direction is says 06 meaning he was hatched in 2006. Thats all I know, hope it helps!

Guest Skuffy

Your the Yr missing...looks like you haven't got them all..Can you handle him to check..? V is just the Size of his ring...Its a closed ring so he was rung as a baby..

I think his yr will be vertical to the numbers thats if your in the UK..And the Band colour is a colour the Breeder gets given..

Can i get my boy ringed - he is 7mths old - I was told I cant get them ringged as they can only have this done when they are baby babies.... prob will have to just get him chipped anyoine done this before as was told can b distressing for them...xxxx

Guest Skuffy

As far as i no,they have there rings put on at 15wks old after that you can only get him/her a ring clamped on..If i was you look into Micro-chipping your bird, you can add all the info you want to that...As for the clipping theres another room in the Greys section on clipping your Grey...Max was done when we got him..He was taken in the back and the Birdman (so called) clipped him,,only 1 side..I wasn't near him, nor any of my familly so we arn't associated with him being clipped.

Hi everyone- in the US the bands can vary depending on where the breeder gets them from. For instance if you belong to an organization that provides bands it would be different than if you order them from a company that makes bands. Mine have my 3 initials, the abbreviation of the state I live in, 2 digit year code and a number which for me designates which chick in the bunch it was. The closed bands that breeders use can only be put on the bird when it is very young- around 3-4 weeks old depending on the size of the bird. The bands that are open are generally a sign of an imported bird- since importing stopped years ago in the US these would all be older birds. They have a code that indicates where they were brought into the US and a number to identify the bird. Hope this helps! I think microchipping is probably a good idea but I've never done it to my birds. At least that way you can prove the bird is yours.

I know I am going off topic here, and I apologise for that, but did anyone see that program on UK's Channel 4 last night called Cotton Wool Kids? A mother wanted to microchip her kid and put a tracking device in so she could see where her child was at all times. The little girl was only about 6 and she kept saying she didnt want to be like Madeline McCann!!