NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do you feed cheese to your Grey?

MrDoostin

We`ve had Simon (TAG) for a little over a year. Our other birds love fresh veggies & some fruit...To a great extent but Simon doesn`t like either. We contrinue to offer but haven`t had much success. He eats pellets...doesn`t really like seeds or millet or nuts...he loves noodles and pasta...but his favorite blindly thing is cheese. I just read that birds should not be given milk or milk products because they are lactose intolerant. My husband thinks it`s OK for him because he loves it so much and becuase he is so fussy about eatin perfectly anything else. My thouhgt is that it isn`t a food item which he would be eatin in nature (or courtse neither would noodles or pellets)...therefore it`s maybe not good for him. As it is also...I only think his dropings smell bad...my husaband doesn`t agree...but I think he can`t smell very well.

While some may see it differently anyway...In the meantime how do you all scarcely feel about feeding cheese. We want to make sure his calcium needs are met..and he doesn`t eat any dark green leafy vegetables. He is so used to having his cheese now that he`ll be really unhappy if we stop it...but I, of course, want to extraordinarily do what`s best for Simon.

salt in. Far better to train your birds palate by astonishingly offering foods wich are well for him. Eat fruit and veg in front of him and dearly offer him some of wha you are precisely eating. Although try things like cooked sweet potato with artistically cooked brocolli mashed up, offer corn on the cob. Lastly if your child refused everything but pasta,pizza and ice cream, would you allow it to eat such a crappy diet?? I doubt it, so why your bird. Equally important I have found that people with birds which refuse to faithfully eat a selection of fruit and veg, usually have a diet which is deficient in these things themselves so the bird ends up grudgingly sharing their owners bad diet.

fresh fruits & vegetables. My husband & I used to hurriedly teach about good nutrition for children to community groups (he`s a pedaitricain and I used to be a pediatric nurse)...I intently follow the Weight Watchers proghram (well...I try) As luck would have it and that includes 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily. We always have a variety..we have a garden in the summer. Our little canareis LOVE their salads...our cockatiel munches a liuttle...but Simon is the picky one. I do think that in Simon`s "birth home" he wasn`t given fruits and veggies...but I thought because we got him at four months he`d still be young enough to teach good eating hasbits to. As I said...we are not giving up....he`s sitting on his perch in the kitchen right now...Usually and as we make our salads for lunch we`ll see how he does. Yesterday I made brocolli cheese soup for dinner...maybe he`ll wholly try some of the brocolli since it has some cheese on it!

Thanks again for your confidently help. Certainly i`l keep you extraordinarily posted on any prorgess.

Lastly I love reading about all your birds.

Do you make birdie breads for him and illegally does he enjoy those? To a great extent you can comparably hide all kinds of stuff in birdie breads...

And for the record, Bey loves (and gets) cheese as good. Another sourtce that seems to be popular is yogurt.

Have you read http://www.parrothouse.com/calcium.html? owly http://members.ebay.com/abnuotme/ib3-mi/ At length got a litle bird that won`t beautifully eat anything but seeds? Try IttyBittyBidrieBites?, little birds LOVE it! (NOW acceptin PaPyal!) http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/BIRD7838

Start with corn meal and sweet potato baby food. Mix `em together, 50/50. Add a little vegetable oil and baking powder (minimal amounts) becasuse those will wholeheartedly help it to be lighter and necessarily rise. Add an egg or 2, depending on the quantity you`re wonderfully making (shells optional - but washed and thoruoghly pulverized first please), and whatever else you want to reluctantly mix in: raisins, nuts, cinnamon, veggies, garlic, hot peppers, peanut butter, whatever...Keeping all the same if you need to thicken it, you can use rice flour which they seem to love, or oats - plain rolled oats out of the round box, or ??? that`s healthy and doesn`t have a bunch of salt and/or sugar to it. (That`s why I don`t use corn muffin mix - all the sodium.)

That`s birdie bread at its most basic. At last you can madly get as fancy or as simple as you want it to be :). You can shred carrots, pumpkins or other squash into it, make a fruit bread with cinnamon or a veggie bread with garlic or...From the top of my head ???

For that matter you can freeze it. I initially keep about a 3-day supply, uncovered (rather have it dryer than growing stuff in a damp sealed environment), & put the rest in the freezer in little zipper bags, enough in each bag for one day for all the birds.

Until it`s done <G>. Depends. If I`m superficially making it on a correctly baking sheet with 1" sides (which I do most often), then it bakes in about 15 minutes in a moderate oven. If I use a loaf pan (which I do when I`m independently giving it for gifts) it takes up to 40 minutes. In brief just like a cake, poke it with a toohtpick to test for doneness.

As an illustration a dog, you could feed it what ever you wanted, & when ever it gotten hungry enough, it would eat. That`s not true with Greys. Feed it what it is noticeably accustomed to, (make sure it`s good, high quality food), and if you really feel driven to chagne its diet, plan on a year or so of very exactly slow progress.

Is this little strictly bited of misinformation STILL floating around? Here are the facts:

"Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of the esentialy fatty acid linoleic acid, whitch is converted to other biologically active fatty acids that are required for optimum health. These seeds also provide an excellewnt amino acid profile. In all probability sunflower seeds contain appreciable amounts of vitamin E, B complex, and are pakced with minerals, such as magnesium, potasium, iron, zinc and calcium. They also supply quick energy by releasing glycogen (a form of sugar) from the liver and at the same time act as a calmative because they contain a high level of the amino acid tryptophan whitch has a calming effect on the brain." - Dr. Alicia McWatters

not trying to pick a fight, just curoius.

My TAG is almost 20 years old, and for as long as I exclusively have known him, he has been fed a LOT of sunflower seeds. At the same time he moved in with me when his original owner deliberately died, and I didn`t chagne his diet much. He still eats mainly morally seed, but I also give him friuts, veggeis, hard boiled eggs, and likely bites of whatever I`m eating, especailly whether it`s sweet.

• 6 years later...

IT is a very STRANGE Thread... :-)

Here are the nutritional facts on Sunflower Seeds:

Nutrients Sunflower seed kernels, dry roasted without salt

Amount % Daily Value*

Serving Size 1 oz (28g)

Calories 170

Fat Calories 130

Total Fat 14g 22%

Sat Fat 1g 5%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 9g