NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Did You Know ?

lovemyGreys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

African Greys are highly sensitive creatures.

The sensitivity of the African grey is unrivaled among companion birds, with the possible exception of the cockatoo. This sensitivity is part of the grey’s charm, but can also lead to common behavioral problems. Even a small change in daily routine or in the bird’s surroundings can lead to plucking and crankiness.

The African grey parrot is one of the many species of animals on a list as part of the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) treaty, and as such is banned from commercial international trade. Your African Grey, if it is less than around 10 years old, was probably domestically bred, which is far better for the environment and for your bird and its parents. The CITES treaty was drawn to protect wildlife from over exploitation and from risk of the threat of extinction.

This is about the looking at a Grey sideways...

Greys are a prey animal (as opposed to a predator);

Now think Africa -

PREDATORS such as snakes, lions, leopards, hyenas, owls, hawks etc...

PREY animals such as african grey parrots, zebras, buffalo, impala etc...

Ok, now think of the position of their eyes - the predators have eyes like us - on a flat face with binocular vision (eyes focusing together) - this gives predators a visual edge when hunting - they can home in onto their prey and have brilliant focus ability...

Now, on the other hand, prey animals such as greys, zebras etc - have their eyes on the SIDE of their faces - they don't have bioncular vision.

Why?

Because having eyes on the side of their heads gives them greater peripheral vision - they have a wider angle view - this is a form of protection as it aids them to see predators approaching etc.

So, when we look sideways at a grey (this is my little theory!!), maybe they don't see us as such a threat - i guess they are genetically wired to feel that if someone or something is staring you down, it's likely they are a predator... just my theory, feel free to critique! ;)

-Sameera

-Sameera

OK, the refresh rate on a standard TV is 30 frames per second. Humans see at around 12 - 14 frames a second. This means that to humans, anything over 15 frames a second appears to be continuous movement.

Greys on the other hand, see between 27 to 30 frames second. This means anything over 28 frames a second appear as continuous movement to them also.

So, in conclusion, the standard TV picture appears as continuous movement to our Greys.

One thing the higher frame rate does for our greys and any other bird for that matter. Is it allows them to navigate at higher speeds and refresh their mental imagery faster meaning they can swerve and miss that branch or other obstacle.

If we flew, we would hit the tree, branch or other obstacle before we realized it was coming that fast. :P

Thats why "George of the Jungle" always slams into those trees. :laugh:

danmcq wrote:

If we flew, we would hit the tree, branch or other obstacle before we realized it was coming that fast. :P

That could explain some of the road accidents round here... Maybe we should bring our birds with us when we drive to warn us of oncoming traffic :laugh:

Indeed. Most predators have their eyes at the front not at the side like parrots.

Your parrot will mostly look at you with his head side on. It must take a while for them to understand that humans are not a threat.

My GAG will not fly to me when I look directly at him.

• 1 month later...

---------"OK, the refresh rate on a standard TV is 30 frames per second. Humans see at around 12 - 14 frames a second. This means that to humans, anything over 15 frames a second appears to be continuous movement.

Greys on the other hand, see between 27 to 30 frames second. This means anything over 28 frames a second appear as continuous movement to them also.

So, in conclusion, the standard TV picture appears as continuous movement to our Greys.

One thing the higher frame rate does for our greys and any other bird for that matter. Is it allows them to navigate at higher speeds and refresh their mental imagery faster meaning they can swerve and miss that branch or other obstacle.

If we flew, we would hit the tree, branch or other obstacle before we realized it was coming that fast.

Thats why "George of the Jungle" always slams into those trees. "---------------

I also heard that this also pertains to flouresent lights and the rate at which they flicker. To humans the light is constantly on but to a grey it is in a constant flicker, so I've heard.<br><br>Post edited by: Medic3709, at: 2008/07/17 22:14