NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is Boo getting sick?

BooBaby

We've had Boo for about 2 weeks now. He's about 5 months old and for the time we've had him, he hasn't been very vocal. He'll fuss at his toys just a little bit and he'll sound like a duck quacking when we go to pick him up or pet him. So, for the past few days I've been noticing that he's sleeping more than usual. He's curious about stuff and he climbs up and down his cage. He hasn't been playing with the toys on top of his cage very much with the exception of one of the balls we have for him. At first, he was active for most of the day playing on his play gym and such, but lately he's been sleeping more. He hasn't lost his appetite or anything like that and will take his treats. I just can't help but be concerned. I've had cockatiels for years but my husband and I both are new parrot owners. We plan on taking him to the avian vet soon to be safe, but I just need some advice until then. Do greys often nap during the day?

Also, I know this sounds crazy... but would the weather have anything to do with it? He can see out the window thats across the room from his cage and for several days it's been raining and thats when I noticed him sleeping more. My 2 cockatiels in the same room have been quieter as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!<br><br>Post edited by: BooBaby, at: 2008/04/06 09:53

Is he having sufficient sleep at night ? ideally grey's need a good 10 hours sleep, but they do tend to have cat naps during the day,you will generally find they are more vocal in the morning's then tend to quiet down slightly & become more vocal again in the early evening.If he eating well & his poops are fine that's a god sigh, as long as he is not resting all fluffed up & looks lethargic .I personally believe that the weather does have an effect on them,i have 4 greys when it's rainy/grey outdoors they do seem to pick up on this,they are still vocal but i can see a big difference in them when the weather is sunny.Keep an eye on him & if you are still not happy then i would suggest a vets visit just to be sure.