NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Re: Alex's death

Cheryl

Hi! Im Cheryl & i have an African Grey too. I was just curious about Alex's death. I was wondering is there any possibility that Alex die because of his diet? I read a book about African Greys & it is stated there that parrots cant eat any seeds from fruits like apple seed, grape seed.. but i think if im not mistaken Alex's diet consist of fruits like apples & grapes so.. is there really any possibility that it might have caused his death? :( I hope im not offending anybody as it is just out of curiousity. Thx. Its still a great loss as Alex is really an amazing parrot...

Hi Cheryl & Welcome,

Yo are correct that seeds from certain fruits are dangerous to our greys due to the toxins in them.Im sure Alex's diet was not a contributing factor to his death.

Here is a link so you can read the pathology results on Alex's death...Alex died from either a stroke, heart attack, or a cardiac arrythmia caused by arteriosclerosis.

http://birds.about.com/b/2007/10/19/pathology-results-for-alex-the-african-grey.htm

Alex died from arterosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). All of his tests, including his cholesterol level and asper levels, came back normal earlier that week. His death could not be connected to his current diet or his age; the veterinarian said that she has seen similar events in young (<10 year old) birds on healthy diets. Most likely, genetics or the same kind of low-level (impossible to detect in birds as yet) inflammatory disease that is related to heart disease in humans was responsible