NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Question

Knight05

How can a bird always stand on their feet it's entire life span and not get arthritis or hell just get tired feet? I know there's those orthopedic perches to help their feet but anything else? I see mine lift one leg up and scrunch her toes quite often to sort of stretch her feet and let them relax.

That is perfectly normal. They all scrunch up one foot and bring the foot close to them and will just stand on one leg while sleeping when they are a little older (Not knowing how young yours is, but if I remember she is pretty young) and when they stretch they clench their toes together as well. Not sure about arthritis though. But you will see them bring one foot up and scrunch all toes together and sit there for a little bit, they are comfortable and only do this when they are, if they are frightened or tense they won't assume this position. Here is a pic of SweetHeart with her sleeping position. And than when she stretches she clinches it and stretches. But it's all normal. You would think like you said they would get tired lol

sweetheart3.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Ronda477, at: 2008/04/03 06:52

Spence The picture Ronda has posted is a natural position for the grey.Arthritis may be a problem that occurs with older birds, and especially with overweight birds, that's why the correct diet is crucial, also with the varying perches, natural wood that is available to us we can help to decrease the risk of our greys suffering from it when their older.

Good question Knight, perching is just what they were made for, besides flying. :-) Just as Horses stand most their life.

Dayo never perches on his bowl unless he is rooting around in his food. He perches everywhere, but his favorite place of course, is either on our shoulders or snuggling on his mommies chest. :-)