NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

7 week old baby

momi

Hello

I've got a 7 week old baby...and I was just wondering when I should drop a feeding..hes currently at 3 feeds a day...with a spoon..

he does refuse food....usually after his crop is not full yet...but maybe i'd say 3/4 full.

ive started putting pellets (softened in warm water) as well as fruits and veggies and some fresh water

he does seem to pick at it maybe even eat some...

im thinkin it may be too soon to drop a feeding...but im not tooo sure

also..when i do drop a feeding..ive heard that you're supposed drop the afternoon feeding first...but then ive heard conflicting advice on whether or not to drop the night feeding last or second?

im pretty sure someone in this forum will know..

thanks!

Hi, Here is a link for a hand rearing thread...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/36364-hand-feeding-a-baby-grey.html

and this link has a visual guide on growth...

http://www.babygreys.co.uk/12-weeks.htm

Personally i would not drop the last night time feed, keep this one as you know your baby is going to sleep with a full crop.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/04/02 11:09

Hi Momi,

Normally they stay on 3 feedings until 10 weeks atleast and then drop back to 2. It's wonderful you are putting out moistened pellets and fruits etc. for him to experiment with with. :-)

When you do drop a feeding, it is the afternoon and continue only with morning and evening feedings.

Send some photos when you get a chance :-) we love them!!

Yes, keep the feedings till around 10 weeks, babies will normally let you know because they just aren't that into the feeding. The afternoon should be dropped first, then the morning. The night feeding is like a security blanket for them, so don't rush dropping that one.

well. i got him at about just under 6 weeks...right before easter weekend

i was told he hatched on February 12...which would make him 8 weeks this upcoming tuesday.

that should be about accurate he looks like the 8 week old greys in the second link.

ive been putting food out however he seems more and more uninterested. on a good day i can get him to have between 30-40cc per feeding...mostly the afternoon feed...after a few spoonfuls he just turns his head and i know i shouldnt force feed him

the temperature is always correct as is the consistency...im not sure if this is just normal part of weaning or not. I know they are supposed to lose a bit of weight in order to fledge..but hes not losing weight. hes at about 470-480 grams. he gets weighed every morning before the morning feed.

i dont think im doing anything wrong..maybe its just maternal instinct..and the dreaded 'what if'

i know everyone will cringe..but it is my first time feeding a baby

i started syringe feeding but converted him to spoonfeeding

so has anyone else experienced this? i doubt hes just a finnicky eater...so right now ive got soaked pellets, regular pellets, water and a combination of fruits & veggies but i try to put more veggies than fruit

so...what do u guys think?

so Joe...should i switch him back to syringe feeding then? to ensure he is gettin enough cc? im just not sure. i switched him to spoonfeeding after speaking to an avian vet..he suggested its easier..less risk of aspiration and the such and that its easier to get him to wean if i put his spoon by his weaning foods (not sure if that was the greatest advice)

even tho he is refusing formula..he maintains a healthy weight range

majority of the time..thers probably a total of only a spoonful and half that he drops to out of his mouth on the paper towel..but its usually less since i guide him by holding his head gently so hes not frntically flapping his wings all the while bobbing and trying to get the food off the spoon.

when should i put him into his big cage? he is very active..almost everytime i sneak a peak at him hes flapping his wings..or climbing on his perch...hes even almost got the hang of climbing up the sides of the brooder cage using his beak for support of course...

once hes got a good grip with his toes and beak he will flap his wings for as long as he can and play with his toy ...

once again thanks for ur input Joe. i really do appreciate it.

Hi momi. It sounds like you and baby Grey are doing just fine. The weight seems right on track.

At this point, it maybe be better to stay with the program you have in place. The way you are monitoring his weight daily is perfect and is a great indicator that he is consuming plenty of formula and perhaps some of the veggies, fruits and pellets you are offering. :-)

momi When chicks are small using a syringe is the easiest way to administer food,Spoon-feeding is more natural, the chick is able to taste the food and the spoon is easy to clean and sterilise.personally i would continue with the spoon feeding,continue to chart his weight daily & offer him a variety of fruit & veg along with softened pellets.The size of the crop is a good indication of how much food to give. The crop should be soft to touch and never hard. The crop should always be empty or close to empty before each feed.Keep us posted.

Stop each feeding when your bird finally tells you that he's no longer interested in that particular feeding. If you were syringe feeding, the sign of that would be vomiting that feeding up. With spoon feeding, the sign will be no interest in taking the food after a few nibbles. Don't put week or time limits on when you should stop. Some birds take longer to get tired of a specific feeding. When they don't want a formula feeding, they'll definitely tell you.

ok. thats what I was hoping to hear...and assuming. but a wise lady once told me... ...i'll spell it out for you

ASSUME is translated to

ASS | U | ME...which makes an ass of you n me. so i try never to assume lol

yeah he still loves his morning and evening feeds..he likes to fool around a lot lol but i guess thats the whole joy of it

i can still tell how much food he takes in...since ive fed him with both syringe and spoon...and i used the same mixing bowl..so i know how much he takes in

this morning...after his morning feed..he refused at about half crop full...but as soon as i put his warm moistened pellets in..he dug his face right in and starting eating it. it was such a great feeling!

he does know how to perch and hes always trying to climb up the side of his cage

i'll probably be putting him in his big boy cage in about two weeks or so.

a coworker of mine believes i shouldnt put him in the big boy cage til hes about 4 months or so..(shes got a B&G macaw) but i think shes just jealous of my baby! lol

shes always saying negative things...that i shouldnt have the heat lamp on...because he may burn himself...buuut the heat lamp isnt even hot...its doesnt make the bars of the cage hot..so im safe. and i can tell her to stop making a fuss :)

thanks for all your advice guys. i dont know what i would do if i hadnt found out about this forum.

aw your boys look beautiful....and when i do put him in the big cage..what about the grate? ive heard some telling me to remove it..others say no leave it hell be fine...

the cage is 6 feet high ! so im really planning on spoiling the little bugger :)

yah my scale broke today..not sure how but i went and exchanged it for a new one so it all worked out

My two went in an intermediate cage,when i say big cage it was not there final cage.They went in to that when they were around 3 1/2 months old.It was such a huge cage & tall i didn't want to risk them injuring themselves.At 8 weeks id hold back a few weeks before putting him such a tall cage,when you do move him i don't see the grate as a problem,i put the perches low to start with & gradually over a few weeks increased the height .i had soft towels on top of the grate to soften any falls,you could use paper on top of a towel & change it when necessary throughout the day.