NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Taking Max outdoors...

Guest Skuffy

Hi Barry,

Here are a few sites with good prices, with the cheapest first. But, as you probably know, compare each sites shipping and handeling charges for the "Final" best price you can find:

http://www.naturechest.com/aviator-harness.html

http://www.mybirdstore.com/HARNESSES-AVIATOR_HARNESS.html

This ebay site is offering free shipping, so may be the best deal:

http://search.express.ebay.com/__Pet-Supplies?_from=R40&_trksid=m51&_nkw=aviator+harness&_nd1=

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on your Grey. First you must get them used to the way the harness looks and feels. Just have it out where he can see it, once he's ok with that, let him test the texture by beaking it and then get him used to letting you cover his eyes with your hand stroking it over his head, storing and lifting under the wings, lifting one up at a time etc. The video explains and shows all this.

The time period, as you can see, depends on your Grey.

And to add on to what Dan said, patience is very important here. If you have an older adult bird who's never used a harness before, expect him/her to take much longer to get used to it. As far as an adult bird goes, most likely, he/she will try to bite at the harness with intensity when it's on but the most important thing you need to watch out for is that the bird might start pulling the feathers around the harness. Just keep your eyes open for any temporary mutilation that might occur. Also watch out for the bird biting you. An older bird can get very angry concerning a harness. I'm only telling you this because unfortunately many adult birds just won't ever take to a harness but I wouldn't want a person to think it was their fault when something like this happens. It's the bird, not the person.

• 1 month later...

I just started taking Georgie out back at first, but my hood has outdoor cats, even racoons sometimes. One cat likes to hide in the hedges. My clipped grey would fly into the middle of the yard so I got a leash after seeing a parrot owner in the park with a simple spring hook dog leash hooked onto his parrots leg band. So now I'm slowly taking him out for walks near home & to the park. He adjusted very quickly, but even when i least expect it, if a car door slams, he takes flight. So i'm very careful.

How do the harnesses work? I'm sure Georgie would never let me put one on , has anyone learned a trick to get your grey to cooperate while using the harness?

JenniO & Georgie

• 3 months later...

JenniO wrote:

My clipped grey would fly into the middle of the yard so I got a leash after seeing a parrot owner in the park with a simple spring hook dog leash hooked onto his parrots leg band.

This is a VERY bad idea. If you grey (or any parrot) had a leg tether and took off flying as soon as there is no more slack in the line it can and will pull the leg out of it's socket...a very serious injury.

• 1 year later...

BMustee wrote:

JenniO wrote:
My clipped grey would fly into the middle of the yard so I got a leash after seeing a parrot owner in the park with a simple spring hook dog leash hooked onto his parrots leg band.

This is a VERY bad idea. If you grey (or any parrot) had a leg tether and took off flying as soon as there is no more slack in the line it can and will pull the leg out of it's socket...a very serious injury.

So how does the Aviator stop your bird from flying then? I mean when the slack runs out

The Aviator, alone, isn't designed for flying really - you only get a couple of metres "leash" on it, which is elastic which absorbs the pull when your bird gets to the end of it (the bird doesn't automatically yo yo back!!). Now, if you do want to fly in a big field there are extension leads available (similar to extendable dog leads) that you can add to enable the bird to fly.

Harvey loves his Aviator - give him the freedom he wouldn't be able to enjoy without it ;)

AbbysDaddy wrote:

So how does the Aviator stop your bird from flying then? I mean when the slack runs out

the main advantage that any harness designed for birds provides, is that it distributes the force, so its not all applied in one place. This is were the tether attached to the leg is a problem because all the force ends up pulling on that one leg.

In addition the aviator uses a somewhat elastic leash, which means a parrot will feel increased resistance for awhile, rather than a sudden SNAP.

This certainly seems better than a leg tether to me, although I believe leg tethers are popular in the falconry community, someone with experience in that area might have more knowledge of any danger with leg tethers.<br><br>Post edited by: particle77, at: 2010/01/14 22:46