NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hello

hi. im gail and we have just inherited a 7 year old african grey male called angel. his owner just died and he's in a pretty bad way. i am desperate for help and advice on getting him right.any help and advice would be appreciated. i will upload some pictures as soon as possible

Hi, Gail!

You are in the right place for friendly people and excellent advice on greys.

There is a "search" box - type in the topic you most want to know about and you should be able to pull up threads. Or, shoot your questions at us - we'll be there, trust me! We love to gab and give advice on greys...

Glad you're here - welcome aboard!

i have just posted some pictures of him. hes got a bad feather plucking problem. he was in very dirty conditions for a long time and was only uncovered for 6 hours a day. plus his owner smoked marijuana near him for a long time as well as constantly burning joss sticks.

Hello Gail and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Angel.

How sad that he was kept in conditions like that, no wonder he is messed up, how could anyone leave him covered up most of the day and smoke weed around him but he has a new home now and I am sure he will blossom from your attention.

He needs a balanced diet full of veggies, fruits, some seeds, nuts, legumes and some pellets but it looks like he has a serious plucking problem that you may never cure him of but I know you will do everything in your power to help him stop.

Please take a little time and read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and ask questions I know you have. We will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

Thanks for sharing some pictures of Angel in another thread, he is handsome even though he is missing a lot of feathers but then real beauty is on the inside.

If you haven't already please take him in to see an avian vet for a complete workup, he probably needs that badly and he/she can provide some advice on what he may need to return to full health.

Hi Gail, welcome here. I just saw the pix of Angel and he sure is bald... :( I hope with the love you are undoubtedly giving him he will gain back his feathers (I'm sure the plucking is from mental stress) :)

thanks for the welcomes and advice. i am taking angel to the vets on tuesday. i am concerned because he bleeds very easily on his wings when hes out for a cuddle. i know little about parrots even though my partner has an amelie amazon. so its a massive learning curve for me.

You are doing the right thing for I don't know why he would be doing that but it probably has something to do with what he has been subjected to in the past but I hope he is going to be ok. Please keep us updated on his visit, we care about him and you.