NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does your bird do this?

Acappella

Sometimes when Dorian is excited or happy about something he bobs his head up and down and pants/hyperventilates, usually to the count of 4,like a dog panting really quickly. I tried to search for info on what this behaviour means and I read on some posts here that could be the sign of a breathing problem, which freaked me out for a minute, but I swear he only does it when he's really happy! Do all greys do this behaviour and I just haven't read about it?

Some greys do things like this, they can also growl like when they are angry or frightened its just a throat noise they make,

when is the next vet check up due? and how is the birdies regular breathing? it could be nothing but then again its better to be safe than sorry

Klaus does bob his head and he does pant sometimes.

Usually the most noticeable panting is right after some serious flapping. So I don't worry about it because I know that's normal respiration during/after strong aerobic exercise.

mine head bob too & they do pant a little after exercise/playing etc..

When a bird breathes there should be very little effort. Breathing hard while at rest or heavy breathing for prolonged periods after exercise/exertion can indicate a problem. Any noises heard while breathing such as clicking, wheezing or frequent sneezing are signs of sickness; a bird should breathe with no noticeable respiratory sounds.

I wish I had a camera so I could film him doing it and post it. His regular breathing is always effortless/imperceptable. He only does this panting thing when he's really excited about something, like a treat, or when I'm really praising the heck out of him.

Guest Skuffy
:( I just Added a small Vid of Max Doing a head Bop, and Bigging up to me as he's told off for none stop ringing the phone.