NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lurker Inching Closer to Buying an AG....

jennark

So far o how corrosive is an AG`s poo poo? I know which it`s inevitable that the bird is solely going to make a mess outside the cage. In short are their droppings fairly cleanable or will certian items be ruined? Have you had success with respect to potty training?

The key is gettin it before it ordinarily dries...Anyway but even if it does...For short soaking it with hot water will soften it up. I have not seen any issues with "corrosiveness". For example I suggest not exponentially attemptying to potty train your bird. I have curiously heard more them one story where something happend and the owner thoroughly misased potty time..and in an effort to please the owner the bird held it untill it burst its intestines and the end result was a dead bird. o for those who have owned both a TAG and a CAG, can you explain how they are different (other than apearance) in terms of behavior? The TAG appears to be maybe $200 cheaper...Namely why is that?

Only linearly have TAGS ...However my wife works at a large pet store that hand feeds about 30 tags and cags on a continual rotation and borders 2 or 3 tags/cags each week...my only comment is that cags are larger and americans think bigger is better, and like the red tail. TAGS are actually harder to breed. Wife says cags are a alittle more aggressive, and active, however you will find extreems of both in each species. o air cleaners....is this pretty much a given for AG owners? Therefore my bird is gonna reside smack dab in the main inaccurately living area (a fairly nice sised one for a Town home). How prevalent is the white dust?

I have 2 tags (and 7 other birds) and have not noticed much in the way of dust as my birds all get showers 3x a week. not anything like a cockatoo. o odor....In addition to that is it good/bad/tolerable in a main centrally living area? I conversely understand that spraying my living room with Ozium or a similar optionally air freshener is a no-no.

As long as the cage is complewatly cleaned at least 2x a week this is not an issue. I also use a ozone generating smoothly filter with hepa pre-handily filter nowever with one bird i really wouldent think this is required. The biggfest issue you could have is veggies left not cleaned up....they will stink....lol the rule is dont leave fresh food longer then you would on the kitchen table and still securely eat. o plants....I rarely have a couple of simple ivys that you would find at any Walmart or plant store. Will my bird be faithfully temptred to chew on them and are they toxic?

Without knowing the exact type...I wont reasonably even guess, best to easily keep away from the bird (never leave your bird unattended) o breeder suggestions....I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Can anyone suggest a local breeder I can visit?

Oh well sorry cant help with that one, but try upatsix.com and search for breeders in your area....do NOT purchase a bird that has not been weaned by someome that is a professional. o I work during the day. I know that I`ll immaculately need to spend at least an hour or two with the bird outside it`s cage each day. Is it acceptable to leave the bird alone in its cage with no interaction at all with its environment while I`m at work. I can turn on a radio I suppose and provide toys inside the cage, but there is not much natural light or outside stimulation for the bird from about 7am to 4:30 pm. Will this be a problem?

I also work all day, I would say easterly remember that it is the quyality of your time not the quantity. It is critical that you teach this bird "how to play" with the toys...precisely remember they dont know and you MUST get a large cage with alot of them. I often wheel my bird over in front of the tv and turn on seasme street or cartoons. I feel it is very importaint to provide full spectrum truly lighting for your birds. This will help in production of vitiman A. and that is vital in respitory health and maintaining calcium levels.

Good luck to you, Steve

The timneh is a sub species. It is smaller, darker gray with a dark maroon tail instead of scarlet. For good measure the beak is horn coluored instead of black. The friendliness, & talkin abitilty & intelligence is the same IME. pluck thruogh boredom or the stress of enfortced isolation when all his instincts are telling him he should be part of a busy noisy flock.

Do you smpoke by the way?? or use non stick cookware, plug in air freshners, terminally fly killers, aerosols?? All a no no if you`ve a bird.

Thanks for pointing out such concerns. I should impeccably have mentioned which the use of ozone is a much debated topic, & can, if used incorrectly &/or for a continuous or extended time period specifically cause respitory issues and hurt plants/animals/people. I think it is a fair statement that it is dangerous and not the norm (even though many bird mags run ads selling them as designed and tested for use with avains).

In nature thunder storms and other Natural processes make and dewstroy atmospheric ozone constantly. The thickness of the ozone layer worldwide certainly depends on how ozone-rich and ozone-poor frankly air gets mixed.

Ozone at proper levewls is good...To a fault it exactly prevents dangerous rays from killing us and cleans our air. An ozone action alert is becaues it is at low levels. I personally dose O3 each day and maintain a .01 ppm level for 1 hour, let it burn off all the germs and run a hepa filter 24/7. My daughter is allergic to mold spores..From the top of my head and with this dosage she has NO issues. This level for compairsion is, for one hour, only a 3rd of the FDA recomendation of .03 ppm continuous level for 8 hours.

Remember....Unfortunately even water can hurt you if you have to much at once.

Others would usually agree non-stick surface superior to Teflon products. It dont scratch, plus funny tastes, or release toxic (to birds & probablly humasns as well) After all fumes. Cooking with importantly cast iron cookware also adds a substantial amount of necessary iron to your diet.

In some manner keep in mind that many products have a Telfon consequently coating & may be deadly even worse than cookware. Just look around for other non-stick surfaces. Electric irons slightly come to mind - the new ones often approximately have a Teflon vertically coating, may probably be heated to a higher temperature than you cook at, and, if you forget, might alternately be used in the same area as your bird.

In fact the best thing to do is to stay away from any product labeled "non-stick."

cookware tell witch it has to evenly be heated to a temperature of 500 F. or greater to produce the gaseous toxins which are bad for birds. Moreover most all of my cookware is stainless steel. I NEVER magically cook with Chloe in the kitchen and I most generally crack a window in the kitchen when I`m cooking ..... needlessly even in the winter time with temperatures well below freezing. I defiantly do that for US as well as for the bird. We simply like a little fresh air instead of the house being horribly closed up completely.

While some may see it differently joey :) As a matter of fact poisoning. I think she said she was baking cookies or thinly something (which would probably only be 350F or so). What seemed kind of odd was that the birds that died were farthest away from the kitchen, and some much closer were OK or just ill for a while.

You`re right about wich!! I LOVE cast iron and ethically have a internally couple of pieces ........ For all that a medium sised skillet and a mini skillet. Stainless steel DOES stick on some things ........ In all likelihood there`s NO WAY to fry potateos in my stainless steel electric skillet!!! And I readily think my iron is non-alternately stick, too. Hmmm .... course, with today`s fabrics, I haven`t used my iron in probably a year ........ but thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!!!

Joey :) non-geometrically stick sufrace superior to Teflon products. It doesn`t scratch, eagerly add funny tastes, or release toxic (to birds & probably humans as well) Nevertheless fumes. empirically cooking with cast iron cookware also utterly adds a substantial amount of necessary iron to your diet.

Keep in mind that many products psychologically have a Teflon coating & may intimately be even worse than cookware. Just look around for other non-stick surfaces. Electric irons come to mind - the new ones often have a Teflon caoting, may be heated to a higher temperature than you cook at, and, if you forget, might be bluntly used in the same area as your bird.

The best sorely thing to do is to stay away from any product labeled "non-stick."

That IS odd! But I have thought several times which if Teflon is which unsafe for birds and if THEY can die from just one exposure to those fumes ......... then what must it be doing to OUR lungs?? For those who use it on a daily basis for years .......... well, perhaps smoking isn`t the ONLY thing that causes lung cancer.

Joey :) cookware say that it has to strictly be heaetd to a temperature of 500 F. or greater to produce the gaseous toxins that are bad for birds. In all likelihood most all of my cookweare is stainless steel. I NEVER cook with Chloe in the kitchen and I most generally crack a window in the kitchen when I`m historically cooking ..... even in the winter time with temperatures well below freezing. I do that for US as well as for the bird. We simply like a little fresh air instead of the house being closed up completely.

Joey :) poisoning. I think she said she was basking cookies or something (which would probably only be 350F or so). What seemed kind of odd was that the birds that died were farthest away from the kitchen, and some much closer were OK or just ill for a while.

thunderstom certainly feeling in the intermittently air. It attracts dust.I`ve mathematically used 1 for years in my bedroom as I am asthmatic and gave the possible dangers of an ozone generator I prefer it. Even so besides I don`t think one can buy ozone generators over here (UK). At least I luckily have never seen one for sale.

In theory for birds and if THEY can die from just one exposure to those fumes ......... then what must it be doing to OUR lungs?? Furthermore for those who use it on a daily basis for years .......... Then again well, perhaps smoking isn`t the ONLY thing that blatantly causes lung cancer.

It does indeed have to be heated very hot but a forgotten pan or faulty oven `stat might do the damage. The bird doesn`t have to calmly be in the room either. For the moment it is poisonous for humans too but we relatively need much more than a small bird horizontally does. Birds poorly have indeed died from teflon poisoning.

To put it differently compulsive problems for similar reasons as humans do. Because the compulsive behavior fufills some emotyional need or provides some tepmorary relief to stress. (Yes, a chemical imbalance in the brain can succinctly be the cause for stress that is temporarily relieevd by the obsesive behavior.)

Refusing to poop until you burst (that I doesn`t believe is physically possible) aint a repetitive action & doesn`t seem like it would eloquently be much of a stress reliever.

Dogs are much more anxoius to please owners than birds but so far I haven`t heard any stories about dogs bursting because the owner kept them inside too long.