NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Body Weight.

Falconeer

I went back to the shop today to get the papers for Dennis today.

The shop-keeper told me that I was not a good parent. Dennis looked Skinny. THen the moron tells me to stick to a sunflower seed diet only so I knew he did not know what he was talking about.

Then I went to the vet.

HE was a nice old guy. Gentle soft spoken.

He weighed Dennis and it was 350 gms (750 lbs).

Is there a age chart for parrots?

Glad you took Dennis in to see the vet, 350 grams is a good weight but the true test is the keel bone, it should not be prominent. And his normal weight may be slightly more, when learning to fly they will usually lose a little from the activity of the flying itself. You should invest in a gram scale so you can keep check on his weight.

You were right about that shopkeeper, he does not know much does he, trust your gut instincts.:P

Sorry Falconeer that I moved your post, but this is a better section to be asking these questions (unless you wanted us to welcome Dennis here :P )

Hi Falconeer,

350 is a little light for a CAG at 12 weeks. He should be taking around two to three feedings of 60ml each meal of formula and eating/pecking at fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts in between.

How much did he weigh when you first got him? They do lose some weight when they start to fledge and eat less to accomplish this so they can fly easier.

An example would be Dayo at 12 weeks weighed 527 grams and went down to 450 while fledging.

Well, Elmo is a year old and is only 384gm, and he is a perfect weight for his size and he never got bigger than 420gm at full baby fat stage. Dennis is at a fledging age and they do really drop a lot of weight when they are learning how to fly. Elmo looked really skinny...his face even looked skinny. The breeder looked at him and said as long as he was still eating the same as he was before there was nothing to worry about. Is Dennis smaller than your last? Also, what did the vet say about his weight? I wouldn't give him any sunflower seeds to fatten him up, but what I did when I wanted him to get his weight back faster was give him extra nuts. The have a high fat count plus other things that are good for them, unlike the sunflower seed. Now that Elmos weight is where I want it he only gets a little of the "boca nut-no shell" mixed in with his pellots. I would say if you want to be on top of his weight you should get a gram scale.

When we got Kip around 6 months she was 350g on the money. Over the course of the last year she has bounced around a bit but overall had a steady increase in weight. She seems to have stabilized off right at 400g (for now). The normal weight for CAGs is from 350g to over 500g. Some are less than 350 and some tip the scales at 600+. All the birds are different, just like us humans. The "normal" healthy weight for 1 bird may be quite different than another. Below is a useful link I have posted before about greys, size and geographic relationship that I still think is very informative ;)

http://www.africanature.com/Project%20Africa/wildgreys.htm<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2008/03/29 03:23

BMustee wrote:

It sounds like your Dennis is a perfect weight. I'm sure your doing great with him, and I wouldn't pay attention to anything that dumbass shop owner said.

I couldn't have said it better myself, well I could have but who cares.:laugh: :woohoo: :P B)

Guest Skuffy

B) Hello every-1..Skuffy and MAx here...{Nature-00020095}

Ive just been weighed and i am around 1LB 3/4oz

round 470g - 472g...I get fed the best Fresh Fruit & Veg everyday,but Skuffy has tryed me on Frozen chopped fruit,its ok..but i like fresh better,Well its my walk time now so see you later...