NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Issues in greys (plucking, screaming, etc)

ortegah

I'm reading all about Greys and their possible issues and I'm wondering something. How common is it that a Grey that was properly socialized and raised by a good breeder/handraiser would still have issues like plucking, biting and screaming? Of course before I get a Grey I just want to know how often this happens when all the right things have been done.

Thanks in advance!

Heather

Those types of problems have nothing to do with breeders that are rearing decent chicks.

""""How common is it that a Grey that was properly socialized """"

Permanent socializing starts in the home of the new owner, not at the breeder's residence.

Most plucking is usually caused by the bird's skin condition. Many people who own greys don't know all the procedures to combat that dryness. Greys and cockatoos are well known for their dry skin. Plucking can also be a psychological problem because most of the time, when there are problems that a grey has, they will solve that problem by turning on themselves and start plucking. Cockatoos do the same thing.

Screaming is usually not a problem with greys. They're well known to be quiet birds in the parrot world. If they are screamers in a house it's usually because the bird is being neglected and wants attention.

Biting is a natural thing for all parrots to do. Their mouth is their arm/hand. You punch someone with your hand..they bite someone with their beak. It can be minimized by learning a grey's body language which takes a bit of time. Simply put, ignore the grey when it wants to bite. They don't hold grudges and the urge will lessen for a time. A grey will also bite a member of the family that he/she doesn't like. Children are very prone to be bitten.

That problem is dealt with during the socialization period when all members of the family partake in all activities with the bird EQUALLY.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/03/26 23:30

Great response Dave, karma. Well cared for greys generally won't scream as a behaviour problem, but they will repeat sounds they find interesting, often ones you might not want to hear over and over again. Dorian heard a (female) scream on TV a couple of times, and it was his favorite sound for a few days. So you have to learn how to handle that and not reinforce it when it happens.

If you're going to a great breeder you should be able to visit the clutch. Many members here found their bird when it chose them. Have fun researching!