NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi Grey people!

Hi all! I'm Beth near Seattle, WA. I've been lurking on your forum for a month or so now, and thought I'd finally post an intro.

I have two kids (6 and 3), and no grey. I'm still over a year away from getting my own - we are planning some major remodeling, and I'd like to get that done first. So I'm just on the web, researching, researching, researching.

I've learned a LOT so far. So much that I am often feeling like I can answer questions on this forum, but I think that would be pretty presumptuous! I have no grey, what do I know? :laugh: So I'll still be lurking, I'm sure.

For now, I'm just going to start by making a list of essential grey items and start collecting them over the next year as I spot sales. I'll be asking for everyone's input on that a bit later! ;)

Nice to meet you all!

beth

Hello Beth and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to learning more about you and your plan of getting your own grey.

You are doing the right thing in waiting and researching before you make that purchase and waiting until the remodeling is finished is a wise decision. There is so much fumes and chemicals around when doing that kind of remodeling.

You can make wise use of your time to read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions for we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.:)

judygram wrote:

You can make wise use of your time to read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions for we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.:)

Believe me, I've done it already! :laugh: There are very few threads I haven't read through.

I've realized that's it's one thing to know basic grey care, and another thing entirely to know what kind of grey parent you are going to be. I don't want to go into this until I know that I am going to do right by this little grey child. :)

I forgot to mention a little more about me: I am formerly a molecular biologist, working on the genetics of diabetes. I stay at home now, and will likely start a small work-at-home ceramic tile-making business here once my youngest starts school. I like doing all sorts of projects and am quite handy with the tools (I think I have a outdoor aviary playground in my future). If anyone here is on craftster.org, I'm often over there, too (also sugarbeth).

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Well Beth if you have been lurking for a month no wonder you have already read them all:P

I think you will be a fine and wonderful parront for a grey, with all the research and reading you are doing you have to be and that grey will be so lucky to have you too.:)

Hi Beth, and Welcome! I am so glad you finally decided to join us! I look forward to the day you bring that grey into your home, but please stay and join us in the fun of learning all you can. You never know all there is to know. We all continue to learn helpful things from each other here. That's what makes it so fun!! :)

Welcome Beth- have you ever had a bird as a companion before? I think it's really great you have the patience to wait until after you are done with your remodeling. It really will be better to have things in your home settled before you bring a bird into it. I've been wanting to repaint my dining room for years now and keep putting it off because it would mean moving my whole flock out of the adjoining room and that would be so much work! Easier to just live with the room the way it is even though I hate the color. I hope you enjoy yourself on the forum and we're glad you joined.

Hi Lyric! I had a budgie when I was a child - he lived to be 11 and he was a great bird! My daughter recently got her first budgie, so that's what we have right now. A long time ago I spent a summer at the local wildlife shelter taking care of the baby birds. And that's the extent of my bird experience.

I've always been partial to the brainy birds, with a special affinity for the corvids. (If you have ever gotten the chance to handfeed a baby crow, you will fall in love so fast!) I've always known that I would end up with a parrot someday, and the circumstances are finally in place - We have a house and we're never moving again, we're done having babies, I'm a stay-at-home mom. Just need to get the remodeling stuff squared away, collect all the bird "stuff", build the bird playground outside for when it's sunny, and then we're all set! So yeah, probably another year. ;) I've already joined the local bird group and found the local free-flight groups, and I expect to learn a lot from them in the meantime.

I'll keep you all posted as I get closer to getting my companion! :)

Sugarbeth- I had a budgie when I was little too. Both me and my sister had one and both of them talked and were so much fun. I know that is what started my love of birds so I can thank my parents for that. It's great you got your daughter one to continue the tradition!

I'd love to see a picture of your playground when you get it finished. Keep us updated!