NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Home Made toys

ChickenDog

I really want to make some homemade toys for my parrots.... But unforunatly, I'm a member of the "Paranoid Parrot Parents Club". I looked up toys on this site, and i found a topic made by Connie, with pictures of toys she bought. It really inspires me to make my own toys, but i cant get over the fear of giving them somthing that may make them sick, or getting tangled, or any number of things.

Tooth brushes would be awsome, but what if they injest the brissles? I want to me them a swing with yarn, but is that yarn safe? stuff like that pops into my mind.... I got him a dog toy once, but took it out because i thought the rubber may be bad for him.

Now, both my birds have lots of store made, bird toys, but as i was looking for new toys on drfosterandsmith.com, well, jeez, the prices are too highfor the time they last...lol.

I think it may be easier to buy them, but i really want to make them, for their benefit, as well as fun it would be!

Is anyone else as paranoid about what their birds put into their mouths as i am?!?! Or am i just weird? LOL

Thanks!

1---Go to walmart in their arts and crafts section--pick up some small wooden blocks----12 per pk---$2.50/$2.89

Put holes in each and put a rope through some of the blocks. Hang them up some place. Greys like to chew and knock around wood.

2--go to pet store and pick up a cow bell, about 2 inches wide. Hang it in cage or on playstand. Greys like to do battle with bells

3--go to walmart or grocery store and pick up 1 small/medium sized rawhide dog bone ( white with knots on either end. Not colored ones) Soak the item in water for 1 hr. It'll be soft. Cut pieces off. put holes in them and either make a string of them on a rope or between the blocks. The pieces of rawhide will harden again.

4--go to dollar store where they have hard unbreakable baby toys. Take them apart and put some pieces on ropes and hang them wherever you want. They're unbreakable and chew proof.

5--go to pet store and pick up one of those stringy multi colored items that are used in tug of war --knots on either end. Don't untie knots. Connect to a piece of rope and hang it somewhere. Will keep birds busy for hrs and hrs. I buy the ones made for dogs cause they're cheaper but are exactly the same as the bird's version. Birds don't eat them, just try to shred them. They last a very long time. The more they shred them, the happier they get.

woodenblocks-2.jpg

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/03/25 23:49<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/03/26 01:37

Great ideas and suggests there Dave, karma for you.

Just a few other tips I've picked up of things already in the house are to use bathroom and paper towel rolls, cut them up and string them, used popcial sticks, and cut up unprinted parts of cardboard boxes. If you want to add a dash of color use food coloring.