NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

biting gray

yard3875

I have an 11 month old gray, she likes to bite my husband to get a rise out of him. She knows that i don't put up with the biting. I don't know how to handle this, I raised her from 8 weeks old. We are also trying to toilet train her, because she doesn't like the birdie diaper. Any help will do. My husband works from home and is with her all day and doesn't really start to be a pain until i get home from work.

please help

amber

That sounds familiar, our 11 month old did that to my boyfriend. We solved it by him becoming the one to feed the bird and give him treats...bribery works a treat.

My boyfriend also learnt his body language and now knows when to stay away. Our bird gives him signals like a certain noise or way he stands and looks, so my boyfriend knows to stay away. We also look for the build up to the bite as well to see if it was something my boyfriend did that the bird didn't like and what the warning signs were.

I find body language very important with greys to get to know what they are saying.

Well she clearly is trying to get a reaction from you by biting your husband & quite rightly this behaviour needs to be adressed,If you pull your hand away and yell, then your parrot gets a reaction out of you and will try again to get the same reaction. They think it's a game, try & show no reaction to her ,try to distract her when you can see that she's going to bite,you can gently wobble your hand if she is on you this works well for me.I also have a clicker ( like some people use for dog training! ) if mine go to nip i click on the clicker & say a firm No in a strong voice, the clicker distracts them,or have a toy handy they she can play with.

Some people use time out, if your parrot bites you simply return her to her cage for 5 minutes & walk away from her & say nothing.Then let her out as normal,back to the cage if she bites & again dont respond to her, hopefully she will learn that biting doesnt bring her any benefits at all.

I agree with Tracy, any kind of reaction is enjoyable to them and they will continue it for that very reason. Her time out idea will work wonders also.

And like Jane said, body language will tell you a lot about what is about to happen, you just have to learn how to read your birds language.B)