NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can birds get allergies???

yvette

My grey is acting funny. He still has his appetite and whistles and all, but he keeps squinting with one eye. It keeps closing on him.He scratches his cheek and yawns alot, but he cant seem to keep his one eye open. Do you think he might have poked it? It doesnt look injured or runny. I was thinking of giving him a bath to see if maybe that will flush out something if thats what is the problem. Now I am a bit paranoid because yesterday my daughter decided to help around the house and she used carpet freshner before she vaccumed. I didnt realize it until it was too late. Could that be the problem and if it is, what can I do to help him? How long before he can come back into the room if I need to have him moved???

Occasionally, Nikko seems to have a little allergy attack. She'll sneeze, and her nares will run. It's typically a short lived event though. Her nares will dry up within an hour.

Knight just posted about his grey getting something in her eye. Once it was swabbed out, she was fine.

Any kind of cleaning products with scent can be irritating or sometimes even deadly to birds. Please tell your daughter to be careful and always check with you first before using any products around your animals. Also be sure she knows about the dangers of teflon and even scented candles can be dangerous. You can never be too paranoid where birds are concerned. I hope that it was just something in the birds eye but I'd air out the room until the scent disappears. Just my opinion...