NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Smelly poo!

Amber

{Feel-bad-0002006A} I have a problem with my 4 year old African Grey. She never used to do this, but recently she has a disgusting habit of when I uncover her in the mornings, she wiggles her bum and all the poo she has stored up over night, she propels forwards with such force that it shoots straight out through the front of the bars of her cage and across the room and it is runny and absolutely stinks of a repulsive eggy sour smell, it makes me feel ill. I can't deal with this everyday. Throughout the day, she does normal poos that land on the floor of her cage. In 1 bowl, I feed her Kaytee exact rainbow chunky, and in her other bowl she has tropimix 100% edible food. I tried to find the best foods for her as I want her to be healthy. Can anyone help me with why she might have started doing this? Please help, it's horrible!

It sounds like she does not want that stinky Poo in her home any longer and has decided to place it outside of her home.

Maybe you could circumvent this by removing her immediately and getting her over a trash can or other appropriate spot you wish her to drop that huge morning bomb. They all do the morning bomb.

If her Poop has changed suddenly, then that could aslo indicate an illness and you should visit an avian vet. But, if it is just that she is getting out of her cage and the poo has always been like this. You just need to modify that behaviour.

Amber are you giving her veggies, fruits, grains and legumes in addition to the pellets? My Josey also does a huge morning poop but it does not shoot out the cage, maybe yours is aiming it that way for the fun of it.:laugh: I don't notice an unpleasant odor with her either so I don't know what is going on with that. Maybe some of the other members will have some other ideas.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little about you and your grey.

Most morning poops are pretty nasty...and stinky. Why she has decided to start doing it outside the cage is beyond me, but My grey will not poop in his cage at all at any time of the day...he likes to use the potty like a big boy! The scarlet macaw at my work does the say thing that you say your grey is doing...projecting it outside the cage. One thing you could do is get to your grey earlier and try to hold her over a trash can or something before she goes.

Yes she does have fruits and vegetables too and I have tried cutting these out for a few days to see if it made a difference but it didn't. It really does smell so bad that it stinks the downstairs of my house out for a while! Her poos throughout the day don't smell, so I don't think she has an illness or anything. I have a feeling she does it for fun, little bu**er!

I hope you get this problem resolved with the greatest haste, i hope clëo doesn't start that.

But i am sure one day once this is over look back and think that was one silly bird and be able to laugh:P , i'm sorry for laughing at your misfortune i now know to look out today because karma is going to kick me in the a**.:blush:

Happy Parroting. DavE

I hope I can sort this problem out soon! I thought about lowering her perch so she wasn't so high up and then maybe the poo wouldn't shoot across the floor so much! She likes to be high up though, so that wouldn't be fair on her. She doesn't like coming out a lot unfortunately, so if I opened her cage door, she'd probably just sit in there and do it just as always! Yuk! Thanks for your replies.