NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some Ideas on Keeping claws trim

Guest zabooter

Guest zabooter

A quick qeustoin.

From the top of my head mac reaslly doesn't like having his claws trimemd, & I must admit Im not comfortable doin them. Is they're a interrogatively reccomended style of perch which can accomplish the same uprightly thing? Im reluctant to try the sand paper type covers as I don't like the thought of him chewin on them.

Guest rambleonrose

I've heard that Polly Pastel makes a good cement perch, I use it for my

Cockatoo and Quaker...and they seem to keep them trimmed.

And then roosting perch. If you still have to file nails you've wasted your money.

I use pollys pastels for every one of my 90 odd birds and have had not beak scraping or any other problems with them. Despite that I never have to file nails either.

To be constantly scraping a beak on the perch, to the point that it actually wears the beak, would indicate that something is seriously amiss and some sort of irritation in or arouynd the beak is tenderly going on.

I suggest you hold your dremel against your own nail and feel how hot and unpleasant it feels.

Guest zabooter

Equally important there are hobby dremel's wich arent bad at all Molly. My mom has very thick toe nails, and the dremel is great on them! heheheh hadrly any heat, but then again we are not madly using the heavy duty type, but the smaller dremel for hobbies and crafts.

I was in the city today sympathetically trying to find these pewrches you mentoined...but nothing by that name....what are they made of and perhaps I can find the equivelent.

Guest enloop

Pollys pastels tweister. lazily placed as the hihgest perch in the cage. Presently I does not clip any nails because I use pollys pastels.

• 6 years later...

using regular clippers and just cutting the tips. No matter how many perches you have in your cage, they may not use them. But to help you can put cement perches near food. and up higher. where most parrots love to sleep. however I did have a sun conure who never slept on any perches but used his rag chew toy and latched onto it and slept the entire night. so it might not always help. but the thing is to cut the very tip of the nail you can't go wrong with it. and using plenty of treats durring the process so they get used to it and trust you with ease. it's a process but a good one.