NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Warm Welcome

Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great welcome following my post about insurance. My name is Steve and I have a CAG who goes by the name of George. He is not very well at the moment although he is making progress. He is around 12 years old and I have had him for 10. He is not hand tame but is a brilliant vocalist. He says things completely in context which people who do not know parrots and meet him, find amazing.

George was poorly treated before he met us and I think this is why he isn't hand tame.

Look forward to posting.

Steve:)

Hello Steve and welcome to the family, so glad you decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and George.

Thats so sad that he was treated poorly before you got him but I bet he gets the royal treatment now. Yes if he was not handled much then he isn't going to be very tame but with a lot of time and work I think he will improve a lot maybe not like it would if you had gotten him as a baby but a long way for an adult grey to come.

He sounds like he is an amazingly smart grey using words in context but then we already knew that but most people do not so they think wow you have a very smart bird.

Take a little time and read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions. We will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of George you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

Thanks again for the welcome. George is ok at the moment sleeps a lot but is doing fine. Has his meds three times a day which includes antibiotics nebulisation.

I weighed him last night and he had gained around 33 grams since last week. current weight is 433g he was 570g so he has lost a lot of weight. He is a fussy eater and will not touch normal veg some fruit and apple cores that I have finished with! He isn't very vocal at the moment but does say "Love you":kiss: now and again so can only assume he does!

Not sure where to post the reply so hope I haven’t broken any rules by posting it in the welcome section.

Thanks for asking after him, I will keep you posted.

Steve:)

Ok we were just concerned because you said you gave him the cores and we didn't know whether you knew to remove the seeds before giving them to him.

Now another thing is when you eat an apple do you eat it off the core with your mouth or cut it with a knife? I ask because bacteria in your mouth is toxic to them as well so if you eat the apple with your mouth your saliva will be on the core and that isn't good either. You never want to allow your grey to get to human saliva for it contains bacteria that could harm him.

Sorry to be bombarding you with so much accusation but we care about your grey and want to make sure you do not do anything to put him in harm's way. Please don't take offense because none is given, just concern.

Helllllloooo,

i would say welcome but i'm new too :)

I feel sowwi for you that you can have the joys of your parrot sleeping and pooping on you its yukky but kool, i have become so used to being pooped on twice a day i would feel wierd without it :)

happy parroting

DavE

I'm not offended honest, :) I do give him cores (deseeded) straight from my mouth, I understand what you are saying but I have had him for 10 years without any problems from foodstuff. His current ill health is as a result of a respiratory problem associated with his air sacks and lungs. He goes through this around every eighteen months or so.

As you can see from his photo he is in pretty good shape even if unwell at the moment. I do value your experience and will stop giving the cores without using a knife.

Steve