NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from New Member

Hi everyone. I've been in here numerous times since bringing Harley Jean (named for the girl in "Pure Country" movie w/George Strait)into our home. Although I've known and loved Harley for 10 years, she came to live with my sister and me in Dec. 2007 because her previous caregivers got divorced and it was best for her to come with us due to space, time etc. She's adapted well, loves (and I mean *loves*) my sister. I'm the "mean" one who cleans her cage and takes her in the shower with me. Rosemary is the nice one who, although I pet her and hold her, is the one who "cuddles" her and gets the benefit of the little whimpering noises and attempts to feed my sister. I've had cockatiels so I was very aware of how messy birds can be. Harley is a Congo Grey and quite sweet and a real comedianne. We've given up candles, haven't used the fireplace since we got her. Our house is very open and we're pretty fastidious about her cage. We've also got 4 cats (who couldn't care less about her, really) and 2 dogs whose main interest in her is what food she'll toss out of her cage. Rosemary tries very very hard to introduce fresh food to her in the morning and she gets a seed mix in the evening. We changed her routine from morning seed to morning veg & fruits, some manner of protein like HB eggs, cottage cheese, etc. because we figure she's hungrier in the morning and will eat that. And she gets lots more fresh with some frozen mixed veg. She previously was getting more frozen mix (carrots, grn bns, corn). She's not keen on the fresh and frozen mix but we keep at it because it's healthier for her.

I've got a question, so I'm going over on the other message board to ask.

Hello Pegn53 and welcome to the family, so glad you decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Harley Jean, what a cute name.

I'm sorry for you that Harley has chosen your sister as her favorite, but that is usually the way with a grey, they play favorites but you can still be a big part of her life. You be the one to give her the treats, that will at least put you in good graces with Harley.

It sounds like you have all the bases covered and she is adapting well to her new home and the food situation sounds like a plan to me too.

Take a little time and read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions. We will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Harley you would like to share with us we would love to see her.

Awww, thank you Judy. Ummmm, actually, I don't mind that Harley has bonded so with my sis. She knows I love her and wants her petting and sweet talk from me too, and quite frankly, Sis can enjoy the "feeding" attempts. Sometimes Harley gets so worked up that she needs to go back in her cage for a few minutes to calm down, then Sis takes her back out. We know it's a love thing and don't want to reject her, but I think I read in here somewhere that it's best to let them settle down and bit and then take her back out if you don't want the completion of the feeding attempt. She doesn't do it all the time thankfully.

Hello to all the other new members too. Reception here is lovely. I've been reading a lot of the forums here when I've had questions before (i.e., about scented candles, foods, etc), but thought I'd join because this is quite a nice site.:)