NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need advice ASAP! New birds joining home today!!!

yvette

Ok, I need an answer here FAST. My husband will be purchasing some Java Rice Fince from a lady who has many birds. I(being as paranoid as I am) am afraid they may be carrying a sickness that can harm my Bently. what is the best thing to do? Is keeping them in seperate rooms for a awhile best? When can they be in the same room? Its not like they will be side by side- they will be across the room from one another. My husband thinks I am being silly and the birds will be just fine, but I am not so sure. My husband offered to keep them in the garage, but I feel bad. He has always loved the Java Rice and they are hard to come by here in San Antonio. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oh and as an update, Bently still wont step up (we are working on that!), poops on command and saya a variety of different words and phrases when HE feels like it. Did you guys ever see the cartoon with the singing frog? He sang beautifully but only did it in front of one guy and when he would try and show people, the frog just sat there.Well, thats my Bently! lol- Thats ok, I love my baby, the stinker!:P

I know all about bringing in Finches into a grey home. Finches hide illness even better than the big guys, so a quarentine is a must. I have found that if they don't look, act, or have any other signs of illness within the 45 days they are fine. The only thing I would worry about the finches carrying in with them is Polyoma (I'm sure thats spelled wrong). All small birds can carry it, like cockatiels, budgies, lovebirds, and finches, but most pet stores and many breeders vaccinate baby parrots against it. If you don't know if your Bently has had these vacs yet call up who you got him from and ask. If not you may want to bring him into the vet for it. It's 2 shots given over 2 weeks.

yep, I've gone through the process many-a-times. I have my finch cages in the same room as Elmo...one is maybe 3 feet away from his cage...and he is fine. It's kinda like live bird TV for him, and he will scream at them and watch them...very cute. As long as you do the quarentine first then you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't put them in he garage though...finches are VERY sensitive and the temp may get to them. Putting them in a room of the house your grey doesn't go into would be more then fine for a quarentine.

btw, I just brought my new diamond doves in with the flock and Elmo has already started to mimic them.