NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Palm Oil

zeta

hi Lisa,

The recommended daily amount should be no more than 1/2 a teaspoon.Personally i feed it every other day.The palm oil has a high anti oxident value & is an excellant source of beta carotenes which is converted in to vitamin A.It can improve feather condition,allowing new feather to grow in strong & glossy,it also has been suggested that it aids some greys to decrease the need to pluck.It aids in breeding, and generally promotes overall good health.

Fot the US people---

Another way of getting it is

Type in Swansonvitamins.com

When it opens find a search area that lets you type in a product

Type in Red Palm oil.

Check them. You will see a picture of a jar which contains 16 ounces.

Price is $5.99. Price is best around in US and even if you buy 2 or more jars, it still costs the same S/H<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/03/22 04:28

can anyone tell me what red palm oil & palm nuts do - I have been giving my grey pine nuts.. not loads but hear & there & roasted he,p seeds (brought in supermarket so can be eaten)..... there good for omega 2,3 & 4.... thanx Emma & Sensei....x

The palm oil has a high anti oxident value & is an excellant source of beta carotenes which is converted in to vitamin A.It can improve feather condition,allowing new feather to grow in strong & glossy,it also has been suggested that it aids some greys to decrease the need to pluck.It aids in breeding, and generally promotes overall good health.Palm Nuts are a nutritious natural food of the african grey, it is the fruit of the African oil palm which grows throughout tropical Africa

Pine nuts are a big favorite, i use them as a reward or as treats.

• 1 month later...
Guest Skuffy

ASDA,,,Unrefined Palm Oil....500ml tub...89p..Max loves it..also eats the Palm nuts....I put the Palm oil on his Tree,,wipe some on his branches he sits munching away on it,,He will even eat it off a spoon.:laugh:

What about other oils? I give Toby a selection - Almond oil, Linseed oil, Olive oil and a multi oil sup containing omega oils etc - He has picked up weight nicely as he was rather skinny! Ive reduced it all right down now - he drinks it all down with his herbal morning tea on his hand feeding spoon from when he was a baby. Any further suggestions or precautions?

PS - Toby highly recomends the Almond oil!

• 5 weeks later...

I feed Kumiko red palm oil every night before bed. I mix it into organic cooked, stained yams and feed with a syringe (keeps him liking the syringe in case I ever have to medicate him). I buy the palm oil from "Tropical Traditions" in the USA. Agriculture Canada won't allow palm nuts into the country, but have no problem with processed palm oil. :)<br><br>Post edited by: M2MM, at: 2008/06/26 22:33

judygram wrote:

Thats kind of unusual M2MM, they allow the palm oil but not the nut itself, interesting:huh:

Agriculture Canada is very protective, due to past mistakes, so they have gone completely over to the closed door policy. No "foreign" seeds/nuts that have even the slightest possibility of germinating unless they are highly processed and packaged (like flower and vegetable seeds.) The processed oil is fine, so long as it's packaged & labeled appropriately. We can't even bring fruit or vegetables of any kind over the US/Canada border. Only wholesalers are allowed to import produce and they have to meet pretty strict criteria. It may seem ridiculous, but they have their reasons.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My jar of palm oil says to NOT refrigerate on it. I don't know how it could hurt it other than making it more solid.

I've found about the only way joey will eat her palm oil is to put it on a small part of bread and toast it , it draws the palm oil in and she loves toast.

I tried straight from the spoon the first night and that didn't work too well. she'd dip her beak in it and then fling it everywhere!! walls, carpet, curtains, my face.... nothing was safe. At least the toast keeps that from happening. :whistle:

LadyJayne4Toby wrote:

he drinks it all down with his herbal morning tea on his hand feeding spoon from when he was a baby.

Do you really give your bird herbal tea? I love tea, and never thought of making some for Tucker too. He loves doing everything I do. I'd make sure it wasn't too hot of course. What teas could you give a bird?

• 3 weeks later...