NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just watched my grey pull out a feather

jdr

First, don't do anything. If she gets a rise out of you it could become a habbit. It could also have just come out...how old it Coco again? Many feathers come out during molting when the bird is preening, so I wouldn't be too worried

She is about nine months old.She was on top of her cage and I was watching her she was preening.Then she just reached back and yacked it out.So after a minute I put her back in her cage and she starts eating and then playing.

no, I wouldn't think so. Molting times are more of a "ballpark" figure. It's normally around a year of age, but the weather can cause it to be earlier or later. Plus, every bird molts different, some molt is one huge molt a year, other have smaller molts a few times a year, and others are in a constant molt.

Thanks to both of you for the advise.Plucking is one of my biggest fears with greys.I guess I read too many horror stories,it is acually the main reason I back out of getting one when I got my Severe Macaw instead.I have always wanted a grey so this time I just went for it.

my merlin is a feather plucker and it's not so bad really. i don't know any different and i adore him whether he plucks or not. granted you won't see a photo of him any time soon but then i don't photograph well myself either.

and thank goodness he doesn't pluck to bare skin i don't think i could handle that. he just looks kind of frowzy is all.

i will admit when i find a feather in the bottom of the cage i will ask him what that is all about. but i don't treat him any differently than i did my daughter when she bit her nails (i bite mine too). "hey whaddya call this anyway" not a big drama but a simple question.

and i always reinforce how brave and handsome and smart he is so he hears that much much more than the odd mention of a loose feather here and there.