NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Taking a bath in the tub

nevjoe

That sounds so funny. Do you plan on doing this regularly and if so how will you handle it in cl=old weather. Why I ask is I was planning to try putting gus in a basin ( he hates the spray but loves being wet)but the weather just turned cold. In South Africa we don't do central heating, double galazing etc as our climate just does not call for it so when it's really cold (lowest at about 5deg C in the afternoon) we do heaters and fire places.

I always bath mine in the bath tub. I start by putting in the plug, and shower them using the hand held thingy. Then as they bathe the tub fills a little. I have been doing this to both of them since the day I got them so they are both well used to it. Oisin still panics a little and then resigns himself to it. He doesn't "enjoy" it, but it is not the worst experience in his little life. Liath just jumps on in there... she loves the whole routine especially the snuggles afterwards!

Fergie my Amazon would probubly love taking a bath that way she loves have her showers in the tub with the hand held thingy Tyco Grey there is no way I would even try with him I wouldn't want to lose the trust that Ive built over this past year. she hates the shower, spray bottle 9x13 pan of water the only way that she will bath is in her water dish so the other day I bought a six inch accross lixit lock down dish for her and filled it to the top with water she was so excited she she fell off of it but that didn't stop her she climbed right back up there she emptied that bowl three times before she finally decided that she had enough and she was soaken wet. It was so much fun to watch and the floor got a wash too Pat

My Sensei doesnt really like his spray but the other day I put him in the bath for the 1st time with me... I have had him for about 6wks now.. & boy did I jump straight out - the amount of crap that came off him.... then to my disgust - there were a few tiny black flies obv had come from sensei's feathers.... - I took him out but felt so discusted that I put him back in it... he was flappingh around & around trying to get out but as his wings were so wet he couldnt get out hahahaha.. it was so funny - then when I got him out I wrapped him up in a towel & also blow dried him on a low speed - he loveed this bit.. prob the warm air against his skin.... but afterwards theere was a funny smell coming from him not horrible just a natural smell - is this because I have washed the natural oils out.. also any ideas what these flies were as there as a good 4 or 5... but like I said 1st bath I have given him & he is only 6mths so prob 1st bath false stop.... I am worried that the flies havent gone though - even though havent seen anymore.... anyone else encountered the same...

(I must admit since having him I have noticed a couple of tiny tiny flies flying around my flat which is weird as I dont usually have the windows open so am unsure how they got in...)....

xxx Emma & Sensei..xxx

nevjoe wrote:

magicalem

I'm far from an expert, but a bath gets all the loose dust and scales (for a better word)out of them. My first bath my guys got were very bad with all the stuff coming out of them. Now it is nothing like that. The odor will get much better the more they get baths. I never used a dryer, I just towel dry them and then they air dry on their cages.

They get a bath every week now, instead of 2 times a week with spraying them. Their feathers are much softer and brighter.

Lots of luck to you.

Joe

Brilliant thats fab to hear.... also is there any oils os stuff I can use to keep his feathers in condition - as we would use shampoo & conditioner - is there anything u can use on greys - I heard aloe was OK... hmmmm but unsure.... thanx for advice... xxx

Good morning Emma, yes some people use aloe spray, undiluted straight from the bottle. I havent actually tried it though. I just dunk my birds whenever they seem to be itching which is usually about twice a week. Oisin is a very messy eater so he sometimes gets a quick wipe with a wet towel as well.

(I still have to figure out how he gets mashed veggies on the BACK of his head :) )

hahahahaha thats so funny :-) do u spray them once a day too as well as bathe 2 dsays a week... as he hates his spray - i think I am going to try the shower with sensei tonight..... hehehe.... I am sure he will love it.... where can I get aloe spray...??? any ideas.. thanx for reply :-) xxxxxx

No I dont spray them at all. They hate it, but they dont seem to mind the bath. Well Liath doesnt, Oisin tolerates it reasonably well.

I have no idea where to get the spray sorry. I am sure some other members can help you out in that department!

I mist Dayo also with full-strength Aloe Juice even though it is not his favorite thing to do.

It is warming up in California now and something I do with both Dayo (CAG) and Jake (Conure) is roll them in their Cages outside on my pool deck and spray water up in the air and let it fall like natural rain on them. At first they are a little resistive, but once they get a little wet they start getting excited and and really into to it by raising their wings, positioning upside-down to get the undercarriage and just generally clowning around.

Once their good and soaked, I spray their cages completely down getting all the dust and poo off everything and then dry them off. Works good for the birds and the cage. :-)

Then I let let baste in the sun for a few hours which they also love.

I'm going to have to try that Joe, it takes me forever to spray Elmo and I never seem to get him as wet as I would like.

As for the smell magic, I would try after the water bath going over him with a quik Aloe spray. I get the Aloe juice from Walmart in the RX department...it's normally with the consipation stuff. After I spray Elmo with it he smells really nice.

I would imagine health food stores would have it, i think some people order it online too. I'm guessing it helps with consipation because that's what it's next to in my store. Get the 100% (or 99%) pure aloe juice...nothing that has a bunch of additives or is a gel.