NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEW African Grey owner - HELP

Lucy776

well good for you miss lucy! eating together is a good way to get to know each other.

and yes to go to a certified avian vet will often involve a bit of a drive. the 2 recommended to me are an hour each way. one north, one south.

now let's talk names! what fun!

That's super Lucy! Good job with the fresh foods!! I know that must be very satisfying that he's responding to your care :)

Re: the two hour drive - well, if I have the birds with me I don't stop. I take something with me to eat. I know it's a long haul - four hours, but it's not something we have to do every day, so it will work. I'd just make sure you take water for yourself and your grey, and maybe some snacks for him so when you snack, he can too.

Sounds like you are making great progress!

Regarding car trips, you need to exercise the same precautions you would if you leave a child or dog in the car regarding potential for overheating (weather dependent). You need to have a travel type cage with food and water. I would not recommend keeping them in the car unattended for extended periods, but a short stop at the store or for a bite to eat on a road trip should be no problem.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2008/03/19 01:49

I agree Mark and we have done the same thing with Josey when we travel with her. I take her along with me when I go to visit my son and it is a 4+ hour trip and we stop and get a bite to eat before arriving at our destination. She has food and water in her travel cage to do her until we get there but we don't leave her for long and we like to park where we can keep an eye out for the vehicle. She does fine with that, she usually plays with a toy or two and sometimes chatters some on the way there and back.

Names, I am no good with names but hey if you want our help I am sure some of the members can come up with some good choices for him.:P

• 1 month later...

hi madisimmons, you can go to walmart and in the pharmacy area, in the laxative section, down towards the floor, you'll find aloe vera juice 1 gallon $7.99

while you're there you can get an empty spray bottle to put the juice in. don't dilute it but do refrigerate after opening.

go ahead and search this site for lots more good info on aloe spraying. you'll find all you'll need to know.

Hi Lucy,

I am not a long time owner and expert, we have had Herbie for 9 months now and it is his first birthday this month. But I hope what I have learnt might be of some help, we have fed Herbie a number of different foods, he loves toast and porridge in the morning and pretty much anything else he can get his beak into the rest of the time.

It might be coincidence but we had some health issues with him recently, he picked up a bacterial infection from somewhere and along with antibiotics the vet recommended Harrisons pellet food (you can find this online from many pet retailers). He has since got better (down to the medicine I'm sure), but since being on the pellets he seems much more calm and more affectionate than ever. We still also feed him fresh veggies and fruit. My girlfriend makes a lot of purees for him, made from vegetables and fruit and often hand feeds him from a tea spoon. Our vet told us that hand feeding can help continue the bonding process and even though your bird is much older than Herbie it might help bonding (once he is comfortable to have your hand near him).

• 5 months later...

Hi Lucy

It seems like real estate agents get into these situations easily. I too inherited Charlie from a client who never really took care of him. It took a long time to gain his trust. When I got Charlie he had virtually no feathers at all he had pulled them all out. He is in excellent shape now, plays games with us, does not stop talking, singing and dancing and thinks that he is the owner of the house. I decided to get him a friend, so I acquired a second Grey Jimmy, while they do not share the same cage, and don't really get on very well with each other, they chat to each other all day, and learn new words from each other.

Some advice, when you talk to your Grey, slightly close your eyes and make soft clucking noises, he should respond. Another game that worked was eye games, close your eyes and open them and your Grey will copy you. It takes time but you will win eventually. I also bought a very good book that helped a lot "The African Grey Parrot Handbook" by Athan and Deter. It gives lots of advice on diet, grooming, speech training, behaviour and its modification etc.

Warm Regards and Good Luck let us know how it goes

Charmain

• 4 years later...

Getting my first African Grey very soon, and have been doing days and days of research, but that is for another post...

Is anyone else still waiting for a picture of Lucy's buddy? It's been five years...

I just read this entire post, and it is extremely helpful! But now, I'm left where everyone else is...

Where's the picture Lucy? How is he doing? New name? How did the vet work come out? Is he your new best friend? Any words he's learned?

I'm totally dying here in suspense!

Getting my first African Grey very soon, and have been doing days and days of research, but that is for another post...

Is anyone else still waiting for a picture of Lucy's buddy? It's been five years...

I just read this entire post, and it is extremely helpful! But now, I'm left where everyone else is...

Where's the picture Lucy? How is he doing? New name? How did the vet work come out? Is he your new best friend? Any words he's learned?

I'm totally dying here in suspense!

It's probably best that you read all the up to date posts in different rooms. There's many ooms that're available. They cover loads of subjects including the type of situations that you're reading about in this thread. This thread is 5 yrs old. Probably, most people don't even know who Lucy is. She only posted 10 times and then disappeared. There was nothing special about her posts. Many people come here for specific info and after getting it, they leave and never come back. Who knows, this person you're talking about may not even have a grey or parrot anymore.

It's probably best that you read all the up to date posts in different rooms. There's many ooms that're available. They cover loads of subjects including the type of situations that you're reading about in this thread. This thread is 5 yrs old. Probably, most people don't even know who Lucy is. She only posted 10 times and then disappeared. There was nothing special about her posts. Many people come here for specific info and after getting it, they leave and never come back. Who knows, this person you're talking about may not even have a grey or parrot anymore.

Thank you for the fantastic post Dave. Are you a British Secret Agent? I do enjoy those 007 movies, I wish I were a spy.

Anyway... I'll check out the posts and refrain from posting anything that could possibly annoy you any further.

Regards,

Utterly and Completely Humbled

Thank you for the fantastic post Dave. Are you a British Secret Agent? I do enjoy those 007 movies, I wish I were a spy.

Anyway... I'll check out the posts and refrain from posting anything that could possibly annoy you any further.

Regards,

Utterly and Completely Humbled

I never said that I was annoyed. I was simply trying to point you in the right direction so you could get more info and people's stories.

No need to be Utterly and Completely Humbled . You can post whatever you like.

No, I'm not a secret agent. At least not yet.